1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1994 dodge dakota Overdrive Issues please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here this pic will help. The green arrow is pointing at what you need.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOOOD it is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously someone like you exists. I wish you lived closer I would get my gf to give u a kiss. You spend soo much time in helping out and have no worries and live for karma what I am all about. In the end if I fix it or it stays broken forever I want to truly thank you for your time in this endevor. Sincerly Gary.

I will take it appart and let you know first thing in the morning. I bought the sensor already all I have to do is put it on. I have my fingers crossed and toes too.. (lifter is ticking and I know driving the truck like this will make it into a early grave and the 1400$ investment will be down the drain) SO thanks again soo much for your help I will check it tomorrow and let you know what I found.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Justgotmy1stdakota
seriously someone like you exists. I wish you lived closer I would get my gf to give u a kiss.
Nice! I'll take that offer! Is she cute? JK the wife will get MAD!
Your welcome. Good luck on it all.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, well I'm single, so I can take you up on that one.... just kidding!!

So lets take a minute to reassess the situation, cause this is all getting kinda confusing!!

So the computer did not actually give a code 17? I would still test the sensor, but if the computer isn't complaining about it, chances are its fine. I'm thinking now that its not your problem.

The computer did give codes 37 and 45? TCC Lockup Solenoid and Transmission OD Control Solenoid open or shorted, respectively.

I do not think that there is a problem inside the transmission... too coincidental that it would pull both those codes. I still think its an electrical problem.

Start by checking for continuity between your switch and the PCM (pin 10... see last picture on this post).

Next, check the transmission wiring harnesses for continuity. Get under the truck and look for the connector labled "Solenoid Harness" in the below picture...

Name:  PNSS.jpg
Views: 14508
Size:  114.8 KB

Test that connector with the PCM connector pins 54 and 55 (see below pic)

Post back with your results and we'll go from there!

PCMPinout.jpg?t=1273371256

Old 05-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur

yeah your right it wasnt the sensor. I will try to make sense of testing what you asked and get back to you ... I am single thank god u didnt take me up on that offer I would of had to bribe someone .. LOL Ill go out and test those now and see what I can come up with...Get back to u in a little bit..

I promise this is all chinese to me but I will try my best...Gary

Old 05-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur

Hey bro I tried Is it supposed to be closed pin 10 or open because it gave no reading out... Is this the issue? I wanted to tell you this first before I tried to check the overdrive switch on tranny... Please advise.

I checked other pins and got a reading so I have a feeling this is the issue...

Last edited by Justgotmy1stdakota; 05-09-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur

Hey bro I tried Is it supposed to be closed pin 10 or open because it gave no reading out... Is this the issue? I wanted to tell you this first before I tried to check the overdrive switch on tranny... Please advise.

I checked other pins and got a reading so I have a feeling this is the issue...

I talked to my friend and he told me about electronics to make sure I tested correct.. I bought a multimeter from menards.. It puts out various readings on mostly all pins except the 10 pin... I hope you tell me it is a issue with the wire or something so I can stop chasing the problem and fix it..I have my fingers crossed .. I am sooo close I can taste overdrive kickin in soon.. =)

Old 05-09-2010, 11:04 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any way you can take some pictures of how you set up your tests? Without being able to see what you did and what readings you got, I can't draw any conclusions... that part is up to you.

What I mean is, did you test the PCM or did you test the 60-pin connector that plugs into the PCM? I just need a quick visual of how you did your tests.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur
Default OK I can take pics in the morning.

Basically I unplugged the connector to the PCM then I tested the plug to the pcm the 60 prong connector..I then grounded the com end of the tester and put the tester to resistor..Then I placed the red wire to the number 10 pin.. I checked a few others and got readings but on the number 10 bank the meter didnt buge , I may have did it right or wrong because I dont know exactly what I am doing but I tried my best. Let me know if I did it wrong.. thanks...I am pretty sure it was number 10 bank based off the pic you gave me,

Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Justgotmy1stdakota
Amateur
Default also

Basically I unplugged the connector to the PCM then I tested the plug to the pcm the 60 prong connector..I then grounded the com end of the tester and put the tester to resistor..Then I placed the red wire to the number 10 pin.. I checked a few others and got readings but on the number 10 bank the meter didnt buge , I may have did it right or wrong because I dont know exactly what I am doing but I tried my best. Let me know if I did it wrong.. thanks...I am pretty sure it was number 10 bank based off the pic you gave me,
Also I would love to test the bank 55 but dont I need two people for that? I mean is how would I test it? I could test the plug at transmission for continuity but how do I test the 55 bank at the same time? I am pretty sure u want to see if there is a short in it correct? if so how would I go about testing it? I googled for info to teach myself and I am lost. thanks either way.

in the end this post will be helpful to others because your knowledge is in great detail so others will be able to help themselves when looking at this forum...it is a great thing ur doing..

Quick Reply: 1994 dodge dakota Overdrive Issues please help