1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9 Liter Exhaust Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 10:20 PM
C.Taylor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9 Liter Exhaust Ideas

Just traded for a 3.9 Liter with Manual transmission with only 87,000 miles. It sat for 10-plus years but it runs and drives alright but the exhaust is rusted out. Any suggestions? Looking for a nice sound but not annoyingly loud. The last exhaust I had done was 20 years ago on a 90 F-150. Are Headers worth the trouble? Worried the bolts are seized and aren't going to come out easily. What kinda trouble am I looking at on the 3.9 as far as seized/broken exhaust manifold bolts in the block?

Old 12-06-2022, 04:27 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

My exhaust manifold studs were broken when I bought it. I posted a thread on how I fixed them. That would probably be in 2014
Rock Auto had a set of Walker brand pipes that are 2.5".
You can get the 95 and 96 Factory manual and some parts manuals in the FAQ section. About halfway down.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 12-06-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:47 AM
Princess_Kota
Amateur
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My '89 3.9 4wd with 104k miles is in the same situation. I fixed an exhaust leak by replacing the motor mounts and replacing the left exhaust manifold. I want to keep it close to stock so I just used a Dorman manifold. I was able to get the bolts off without breaking the studs by heating the bolts with a butane dab torch and quenching it with candle wax. Once it cooled I sprayed it with Liquid Wrench periodically for a few weeks. Once I got them to turn a tiny bit I sprayed them again, retightened, sprayed again, turned a little more, sprayed, so on and so forth. If you take them off in the right order and be gentle they will come out just fine.
My exhaust pipes on the other hand are atrocious and I'll probably have to keep them Jerry rigged till Spring.

Quick Reply: 3.9 Liter Exhaust Ideas