1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

lifts and tire size

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 PM
maine express
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifts and tire size

under the faq2 section it says for 31s you need a 1-2 inch lift, I was wondering why they need that or that its recomended. the 87 dakota i have has 31s on it right now and they seem to clear everything just fine. how would I tell if this truck is lifted?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:29 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

Generally people who are lifting their trucks are doing so in order to wheel it. I believe a 31" tire will rub at full compression of the suspension.

If you're talking about the truck in your signature, the rear certainly looks lifted but the front looks stock. But it almost looks like your bed is lifted four inches above the rest of the body?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 AM
maine express

I never really thought about how the bed looked higher then a normal dakota truck bed untill you mentioned that. when it stops raining ill try and get some pics of how its mounted. How much suspension range do dakotas have?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM
maine express

1st sorry for the bad pics it is still raining here. Name:  IMG_0315.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  97.4 KB this is how the bed is conected to the frame behind the gas tank.

Name:  IMG_0316.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  63.5 KB the rear of the bed to the frame, thats not rust just dirt on the bottom of the bed in the uper portion of the pic.

Name:  IMG_0318.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  66.2 KB front of the leaf spring shakle, the metal bar in the pic is going from the metal tub of the bed to the fiberglass in front of the rear wheel.

Name:  IMG_0317.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  60.9 KB rear spring shakle

Name:  IMG_0324.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  83.3 KB 31 inch tire at 41 psi as per the door jam sticker, seems to me it has alot of room to move up and down, maybe becous the bed is lighter next to a normal 6 foot steel one so it sits up higher. i have pics of the gas tank filler tubes, the metal on the steps, inside of the beds metal if you guys would like to see them.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never seen a stepside Dakota. Is that bed off of something else? Those definitely don't look like factory mounts.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:15 PM
maine express

no and yes. they were drop shiped to country sales inc w/o a rear bed and they put that fiberglass step side on it and some other things (info from a real brochure are in roll call post)

Quick Reply: lifts and tire size