1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1996 Dakota 318 oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:05 PM
Clockwerkrat88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dakota 318 oil pressure

I have a 1996 Dakota with the 5.2 magnum and 5 speed manual transmission, truck has 177k miles and after running at temp on the highway for 20-30 minutes when I exit and am at idle the oil pressure light will flash intermittently while the oil pressure gauge reads in the good range and does not fluctuate. I am currently running 20-50 oil, and was just curious if anyone knows if the gauge and light run off of different sensors or have any insights into this.

Thanks

Old 11-29-2015, 06:44 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The answer is "No, and yes."

No, it's a separate switch. Yes, it's in the same assembly.

Plus, there's always the possibility that the connector is going bad on one side not the other.

RockAuto shows several combo units for the 5.2 that year: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=4588

I would also recommend you borrow or buy the proper socket to fit it. There's a deep throat that will also work, but the ideal one has the proper design to hold snug around the rounded corners.

It's at the back of the motor, by the distributor, down where it's hard to see. Be SURE you get it back into the same hole you took the old one out of - a few have gotten it jammed and tightened into a "V" back there, and as soon as they start the motor, oil geysers out of the open hole ... Not that I did that *ahem*

RwP

Quick Reply: 1996 Dakota 318 oil pressure