See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Transfer Case Control Module Location, TCCM

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 PM
atikovi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These modules often go bad so it's not surprising one from the junkyard doesn't work. When I bought mine I bought a second one as a spare and tested it on the truck to make sure it works. At least now I have a known good one on the shelf ready to go.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM
rajzwaibel

Originally Posted by atikovi
These modules often go bad so it's not surprising one from the junkyard doesn't work. When I bought mine I bought a second one as a spare and tested it on the truck to make sure it works. At least now I have a known good one on the shelf ready to go.
Last week I got one from ebay and it didn't work. My issue is textbook what everyone else describes: no indicator light on the switch, moving the switch doesn't engage 4x4, etc. I called Dodge and they said it was recalled in 2006 and the TCCM was replaced then. So do these things only last a couple years?

I was worried that it may be something else other than the TCCM, but you're saying it very well could be a bad one I got?

I suppose the good news is that now I can replace the TCCM in under 20 minutes lol.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:26 PM
rajzwaibel

Originally Posted by atikovi
I'm trying to get the module out now but can't get it far enough forward to disconnect the wiring connectors. Do you disconnect them first? Don't see a way to reach them. Do I just force it toward the firewall some more?
take off the lower dash, and take off the ash tray dash. You'll have to pop the upper dash a bit to get to the hex screws for the ash tray dash. Then I just wiggled the TCCM for a bit, slightly twisting it to get it to drop down where I could remove the connectors easily. Kind of a pain, but you can do it

Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 PM
rajzwaibel

Ok, I've had a second TCCM put in (this one from a 2002 Durango, part 242AF, 242AE is what was in originally) and still no joy. No light on the switch, and no functionality.

So would the switch be bad, or is there something else I should be looking for?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Gattlin
Default New member

Hi all! After following this forum for awhile now, I wanted to register just to say Thank you. No really I appreciate the efforts of all involved in this forum. Because of the efforts of the Admins and forum members, I've been able to save a ton of money on repairs for various things. Great forum guys and gals and once again thank you.

Sincerely Ol Skinner

Old 02-13-2015, 06:33 PM
bobosh

look for the blue plastic in the marked area and you'll c it

Old 05-26-2016, 02:02 PM
N.Y.X.

Great info!!

Last edited by N.Y.X.; 05-27-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:55 PM
bbddpp
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all,

Thanks so much for this wonderful forum and thread. Before finding this thread I was immediately off to the stealership or mechanic. I like at least having the opportunity to try this myself. Never worked on a car before.

My 2001 Durango had the Service 4x4 light come on and the electronic switch to change out of 4wd mode stopped lighting/working. The "security" light is also on which seems weird and a bit different from the rest of you.

After disconnecting the battery and reconnecting with the switch in 2wd mode , starting the car, I did hear the motor did switch back ONE TIME to allow the truck back into 2wd so I'm good to drive it now. But I have not seen the switch light back up again since that one time.

Checked Fuse #8 and swapped with a new 10amp just to be safe, no change. So, I decided to change the TCCM. Seemed like a cheap fix.

I managed to get all of the lower dashboard off and finally got to the connectors enough to remove them.

I purchased a module used on ebay from a reputable seller who pulled from a 2001 "Running Daktota" and the part numbers matched when the unit arrived.

Just hooked it up, and nothing has changed. No lights on the dial at all and no noise when I operate the switch. The module swap hasn't seemed to change anything.

Before I take this to the mechanic (Not going to bother reassembling the dash I guess if I do), knowing I know absolutely nothing about cars, or wires going into motors, or checking power at motors, or for bad wiring connections...but am happy to learn with some instruction...is there anything else I can try before I give up fully?

I realize that I could have been sold a second bad TCCM but I find that unlikely. If this TCCM (despite seeming to match perfect) needs "reprogrammed" would I be seeing the same error?

Note - I have not driven the vehicle yet since swapping in the new TCCM so I don't see the service 4WD light on, but I definitely don't see the light on the transfer switch lighting up to indicate 2WD at this point with the new TCCM plugged in and dangling there.

Any insight anyone has would be most appreciated! And thank you so much!

B.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:02 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The light gets turned on my the CTM if it does not get a proper reading from the TCCM, or 'thinks' it doesn't get a proper reading. Only a few months ago I fixed my crotchety TCCM/4wdLight issue by swapping the CTM.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:38 PM
bbddpp
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I may have stumbled upon the fix without really intending to. With the security light on, I googled the pattern to reset the security alarm this morning while I still had the new TCCM attached. After that, started the car to see if the Security code had cleared, and by some miracle, it had, AND the 4wd switch lit up. Transfer motor switched in and out just perfect as well. It's a miracle!

Been driving it around today and the switch has lit every time.

I will note that I disconnected the battery to re-wire the new TCCM up in place (had it hanging down to test) and the Durango did take another start or two in order for the switch to light (I was mortified after doing the rewiring boogie to get the module back up in there, reconnecting the battery, and seeing the car start without the switch having power again). After one more start, it lit up on its own without changing anything.

As most have said here, hard job the first time, would be easier if I had to do it again. If I could offer any advice to anyone taking it out.

- Taking the lower dash below steering wheel is not enough. You really need to take out the piece to the right of that as well, all the way over to the glove box, to really get at the wires to unplug them from the module.

- The 3rd upper right screw to remove the module IS tough. Either find a small open end wrench (not standard in non-mechanic kits, I didn't have one). I had to use a needle nose and a vice grip to get it out. I decided NOT to put that screw back in, either.

- You have to unplug at least the 2 larger connectors from the inside to get the module out of its "pocket" and into view -- This was very tough due to the snaps. I used a flathead screwdriver to pry up the plastic hooks and another hand to wiggle out the connectors. Took a while.

- Test the new module just hanging below before you tuck it back in there. When I tucked it away, I was able to connect the black, smallest of the 3 wires outside of the "pocket" it sits in, but not the bigger two. Put in the small one, wedge the thing back in place, plug in the other two bigger connectors, then screw it back in.

- I ordered a switch **** as well just in case, so I'll have that as well I guess if THAT decides to break.

Coincidentally, it seems that the TCCM really doesn't like it when you disconnect the battery from your car -- I recently had a battery die and installed a new one. I wonder if that played any part in needing this repair? Anyone else who had a TCCM die do a recent battery disconnect?

I noticed my connectors really need a scrub and are corroding, but I'm almost scared to disconnect the battery again now that everything's working!

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Control Module Location, TCCM