1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need Some Help With Motor Blower Resistor Fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 PM
mickinirvine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help With Motor Blower Resistor Fix

Okay, through the friendly help of a few on this board I have determined that I more than likely need to replace my motor blower resistor on my 99 Durrango 5.9. Everyone agreed that the replacement would be simple and fast. I have not had such luck. Is it me?!

First off, I'm pretty sure the part that the local Dodge dealer ordered for me is wrong. It looks far different than any of the photos of the part I have found online. So, question number one: DO YOU KNOW THE MOPAR PART NUMBER? EVEN BETTER DO YOU HAVE A PHOTO SO THAT I AM SURE OF WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR?

Second, I know that the connection is somewhere behind the glove box. Again, the photos I have found online show it to be a really visible thing and easy to get to. I see nothing that even looks like what I see online. Only thing I see that looks even close is so burried in the back of the area behind the glove box that I would have to remove tons of stuff to get to it. So, CAN YOU TELL ME EXACTLY WHERE I SHOULD BE LOOKING TO REPLACE THE RESISTOR ONCE I GET THE RIGHT PART?

I was sure that this was going to be a quick and easy fix. It has been anything but! The part has been nearly impossible to get quickly or efficiently. Even finding a Dodge dealer at all is a challenge! Oy vey!

Please help if you can. If you have a part number or some photos that would amazing.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pre 2001 is NOT easy at all. Sorry you had to go down that path of enlightenment.

Here is all you need: "Demon Durango 1 / IndyDurango 0 … Saga of Blower Resistor"

IndyD

Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 AM
MongoDV8
Professional

The replacement parts have been redesigned. They don't look like the origional ( from what I hear ).

My 01 was easy to get to looking straight up from the floor under the glove box. Not sure if yours is the same.

I replaced mine about 2 years ago. Then it went out again about a month ago. I replaced it again and it went bad within 2 days. I replaced the wiring pigtail even though it only had a little corrosion where the terminals connect to the wires. It went bad again the next day. I replaced the blower motor and another resistor and all has been good for 2 months now.

I can change that resistor in under 5 minutes now .

Old 01-29-2010, 03:04 PM
mickinirvine

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Pre 2001 is NOT easy at all. Sorry you had to go down that path of enlightenment.

Here is all you need: "Demon Durango 1 / IndyDurango 0 … Saga of Blower Resistor"

IndyD
Thanks so much for that link, Indy! I'm feeling optimistic again!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:47 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your welcome mick.

Mongo, your 2001-2003s were redesigned, but they still look similar to what you had. The 1998-2000s look nothing alike. Our older ones remind me of an electrical coil in Frankenstein.

IndyDurango

Quick Reply: Need Some Help With Motor Blower Resistor Fix