Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Common A/C issues: problems and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the blower fan itself is likely drawing too much current which is frying the resistor. This could be an internal short to the fan, or just a worn out motor, or somehting causing drag on the motor.

also check for any shorts in the wiring, but my money is on the fan itself being bad.

The following users liked this post:
Shipnshore (02-07-2020)
Old 06-30-2012, 12:24 PM
rynydr1151
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fellas, Ive been up and down this thread and have found some good info but nothing that sounds like my problem. I have a 01 5.9 liter w/ front blower only. The air is ice cold when outside temps stay in 70s however if the truck sits outside in 70+ temps the a/c blows warm air. Also whenever the air goes warm the overhead temp display is shows the temp as --. I can drive for hours in hot temps and it will work but if i stop and turn the engine off and leave it for an hour or so A/C and temp display will not work again till the truck cools off completely over night. Ive replaced the temp sending unit by the radiator and recharged the a/c multiple times. thanks for any help

Old 07-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Muziklvr79

I've posted about this and have gotten 0 responses. I must not be doing something right. I am trying to locate the low pressure switch on a 2003 Durango SLT, dual air, 4.7L. Can anyone help???

Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rynydr1151
Hey fellas, Ive been up and down this thread and have found some good info but nothing that sounds like my problem. I have a 01 5.9 liter w/ front blower only. The air is ice cold when outside temps stay in 70s however if the truck sits outside in 70+ temps the a/c blows warm air. Also whenever the air goes warm the overhead temp display is shows the temp as --. I can drive for hours in hot temps and it will work but if i stop and turn the engine off and leave it for an hour or so A/C and temp display will not work again till the truck cools off completely over night. Ive replaced the temp sending unit by the radiator and recharged the a/c multiple times. thanks for any help
Is your electric fan working? You may not be getting enough air through the condenser. My a/c takes a few minutes to get cold after it sits for a long time. The overhead temp sensor is unrelated to the a/c system. I'm not sure why you keep having to replace it.

Originally Posted by Muziklvr79
I've posted about this and have gotten 0 responses. I must not be doing something right. I am trying to locate the low pressure switch on a 2003 Durango SLT, dual air, 4.7L. Can anyone help???
I'm sure someone will answer your question. I'd help you if I could, but I have a 99 5.2L truck (which is different than an 01-03 in many ways) and I don't have rear air or a 4.7.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yes you are doing something wrong, you are expecting an answer in under a day (on a weekend) from volunteers who are likely not around at this time. (it is a holiday week)

the low pressure switch is located right near the drier in the line, picture in the parts manual (which is available in the FAQ thread stickied below this one) appears to show it attached to the drier but the image is small

part # is 04897612AB

Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 PM
jswank
Default 99 dodge durango a/c

i posted on here before but no answer. So here we go again my a/c compressor kicked on for like two seconds.And its charged i unplugged the compressor an hooked it to the battery it kicked on then but when i hooked everything up it wont turn on.So dos anyone have any ideas on what it could be?The sensors i un hooked them an checked them an still nothing.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

is it charged to the correct level? i have seen overcharged units behave this way, if you did a recharge yourself this is likely to be an issue as the DIY recharge kits dont have the full set of gauges to recharge it correctly

Old 07-08-2012, 12:31 PM
tshephard
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC Tip

I have a '99, and hot water flowed continuously through the heater core (and the air door chose which way the air went). I felt the hot water had to be warming the cabin (airflow or not) so I put a plumbing ball valve in the flow to the core, above the passenger's exhaust manifold - on for fall, off in spring. Making 46 degree F air at the center register today above 100 ambient!

For the guy not getting responses...
Once I overcharged my system (99) and it burped - some vent valve on the compressor released 'freon' for over pressure.
I would bet a low pressure switch would be attached near the receiver/dryer - near the passenger firewall.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM
thecaminokid

Ok everybody, I have fallen victim to the A/C problems of the Durango. I have a 2003 with front and rear A/C and heat and my problem is just like everyones else's, my A/C should be colder. I noticed that E-fan was not working so I replaced it and it helped a little but not as much as I would have thought. I put it into the shop to have it checked and they told me that the compressor was not cycling on and off but it was just staying on. They said I needed a new compressor, dryer, and expansion valve and it would be $x,xxx. I know that they checked the A/C charge to make sure it had the proper amount before they finished there diagnosis. I wound up replacing everything myself to save some money and took it back and had them evac and recharge the system with the proper amount(2.44lbs). The compressor still stays on and will not cycle. Out of frustation I added another pound and the compressor startd to cycle but was blowing hot air so I let some out and it continued to stay on. I took it back to the shop and they said they found nothing wrong but could see that the compressor would not cycle off still. I have swapped relays, checked fuses, and beat my head against the wall and nothing seems to work. I have installed a valve in the heater line and shut off the flow of coolant to the heater core and that did nothing for the A/C temp. On top of that the rear vents do not have the airflow that they should, I'm thinking that may be the fan getting weak(??). Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

I am experiencing weird stuff myself. I have checked everything that I can think of. I took it to my brother's shop, we hooked it up to the freon machine. He pumped out 2.35 lbs of freon that was in my system. The clutch bearing moves freely by hand, I had tried to add a can of freon from napa, and the AC compressor was backfeeding hot air into the can...I do have rear air...I have read this thread until my eyes crossed, seeing if I was missing something stupid and simple...I got nothing...it's not getting driven that much because of the PCM, but man that thing gets hot being black...I need colder air in that thing

Quick Reply: Common A/C issues: problems and solutions