1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer Case Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:50 PM
The_Chain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Issue

Newby here. Transfer Case issue with a 2000 Durango. About 10 months ago the linkage for the 4 wheel drive came off. My local mechanic reconnected. While driving yesterday I noticed a loud knocking that sounded faster when I drove faster. I took it to my local mechanic who found that it had NO fluid in the transfer case and said it was 'shot' and needed replaced. This same mechanic has also done a couple oil changes since the linkage was repaired. I'm wondering if the leak could be related to when they fixed the linkage. Would they have had to open up the transfer case to reconnect the 4x4 linkage? I think the leak might be at a gasket on the transfer case (not sure). And/or would they have had to drain the fluid and put new fluid in when fixing the linkage? If not, should they have at least checked the fluid? The thing was BONE DRY and had metal shaving on the plug. I was quoted $450 for a used transfer case, and $1200 to have it rebuilt. I know almost nothing about engines and am trying to learn here and or understand this better.
Your replies are GREATLY appreciated.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

no replacing the linkage to the interior shifter does NOT require the fluid to be drained. not sure how it would have gone dry on you without being opened up or damaged

Old 08-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Overcast72
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
no replacing the linkage to the interior shifter does NOT require the fluid to be drained. not sure how it would have gone dry on you without being opened up or damaged
Don't think it could have, could it? I mean - it would *have* to either be drained or somehow leaking, right?

Did you notice any fluid where you usually park? If you are unsure - a great way to test this is to put down some clean cardboard under the area in question - check later/next morning and see if anything is on it.

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but unless you really know you can trust that shop - you might want to have someone else take a peek too. Can't be too careful.

I'll not mention the name - but I should....

I took my car up to have some minor work done on it - couple tires I think. A day later - I noticed a pinhole in my upper radiator hose. I had put a new hose on 12 months ago max, I knew I smelled BS right away. I'm not stupid and have been working on cars since I was 16....

There's nothing that could have put that pinhole there in that particular spot, particularly on a newer hose - nothing mechanical anyway, that wasn't attached to a greasy arm. But yeah... it's also possible that it was a flawed hose and took a year for the pinhole to form. I do give the benefit of the doubt.

Also worked at a shop - that would never, ever lie to a customer. Sure, we'd try to talk them into replacing anything and everything, but either way the owner insisted on complete honesty. They had a strong customer base.

Last edited by Overcast72; 08-30-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had more issues taking in my trucks to shops then fly to the moon! I HATE to take it in, and dread what I am going to find afterward.

During oil changes they usually don't look at levels, however you being the purchaser of their products did you ask or see if they check other fluids or not? Sorry to sound rough, but in these days we all "think" the old way and that people do check things like that but in the real world if they are not paid to do the job they aren't going to do it.

Then again there is always the shops that take advantage of regular people......ug.....don't get me started.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Issue