1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

44RE Rebuild - DIY w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hope Sharps puts this into the DIY section as I cannot access my posts in there anymore.

Question: How did you compress that 800 lbs spring, forget the name of the unit? Please give good detail.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Question: How did you compress that 800 lbs spring, forget the name of the unit? Please give good detail.
I am in the process of doing the Overdrive unit, I am going to order a 12 ton press to take care of the job. There will be plenty of good details once i am though...

Old 07-18-2013, 08:18 AM
ecred
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want the dude in the video to build my next tranny. I went on to watch some of his other video's, that guy knows his transmissions.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ecred
I want the dude in the video to build my next tranny. I went on to watch some of his other video's, that guy knows his transmissions.

I agree, Hiram is a excellent builder... His shop is in Texas IIRC...

Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Houston Texas I saw on his profile. You can tell by how easy and simple he makes it look that he knows these well enough to do a damn good rebuild job in his sleep. Gives lots of info too. Hows your rebuild going? Going along fairly well or are some real challenges popping up?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Compactc9
Yeah, Houston Texas I saw on his profile. You can tell by how easy and simple he makes it look that he knows these well enough to do a damn good rebuild job in his sleep. Gives lots of info too. Hows your rebuild going? Going along fairly well or are some real challenges popping up?

Well, the main case is rebuilt and on the jack waiting for me to finish putting it up. With the high temp the last 3-4 days being 94F+ and a heat index of over 105F there is no chance i am gonna try to get out there and do it... i tried the other day, after 25 mins i could hardly breath and ended up getting sick when i did come in... there calling for heavy storms Saturday evening as a cold front comes though so it looks like it will be able to get at it again come Sunday.

After the main case is back up i can put most of the other things back together. Then i have to wait for a press and some parts for the Overdrive unit to come in so i can finish rebuilding the rest. If all works out i should have everything squared away the first week in August.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been rebuilding my front end in my truck for the last week and a half for the same reason, just to damn hot and humidity dosen't help.

When I go out now I place a tunnel fan I have and that helps with the heat, but you have to stay in the moving air and thats hard to do. I was thinking about buying a mister for it but I'd rather spend the money on cold beer.....

Old 07-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I've been rebuilding my front end in my truck for the last week and a half for the same reason, just to damn hot and humidity dosen't help.

When I go out now I place a tunnel fan I have and that helps with the heat, but you have to stay in the moving air and thats hard to do. I was thinking about buying a mister for it but I'd rather spend the money on cold beer.....
I think my next project is going to be rebuilding my trucks front end as well....

I managed to get a few hours this morning to work on it as there was a nice breeze flowing that went though the garage nice. I got the main case bolted back to the engine and the converter bolted to the flex plate... All that's left for that section is to hook up all the wires, lines and linkage.

Then i have to wait for parts to come in

Old 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Overdrive Unit

Name:  Overdrive_zps7355bd60.jpg
Views: 6255
Size:  104.1 KB

So i started to tear down the overdrive unit while i waited for parts. The first step is to remove the 3 snap rings just inside the case. Once you do that it will allow you access to remove the first set of clutch packs. Here is what mine looked like...

Name:  cid_SSPX01111_zps95ad2e74.jpg
Views: 4850
Size:  41.6 KB

Once you have the first set of clutch packs removed you can now remove the internals out of the case as a hole. You do this by flipping the unit over and removing the inspection cover on the back tail. Use a set of pliers to spread the snap ring and it should fall right out.

Name:  cid_SSPX01081_zps6bba4376.jpg
Views: 4767
Size:  34.8 KB

When you are done you should have this...

Name:  cid_SSPX01091_zpse74e198e.jpg
Views: 4931
Size:  39.5 KB

The next step is to compress the overdrive hub and remove the snap ring between the hub and the overdrive ring gear. To do this you need a press. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT A PRESS! There is a spring, some call it a 400lbs others a 600lbs spring.. it can and has killed people after getting hit with it while not using a press... use the proper tools!

Here is what mine looks like... As you may be able to see my snap ring is shattered in several places. This is a common issue for failure on these units.

Name:  cid_SSPX01101_zps56ca4f42.jpg
Views: 4886
Size:  43.3 KB

At this point i am waiting on my press to arrive so stay tuned, more to come.....

Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice work! It still never ceases to amaze me how complex automatic transmissions are.

Quick Reply: 44RE Rebuild - DIY w/Pics