1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need Help Towing Packages

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:12 AM
thayerdurangorj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help Towing Packages

I would like to wire my Durango to pull an Rv, my vehicle didn't come with factory towing package,,and I need to add my Impluse break control and have a 7 pin connection,

also I would like to know what would be my best way of finding which vehicles or VIN details would get me to find 3:99 rear axel for my Durango, we have a salvage yard in town with lots of Dodge trucks and Durango ,

I appreciate any knowledge sent my way!,

Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my diagram of how to wire up a brake controller...

Name:  BrakeControler.jpg
Views: 5633
Size:  61.9 KB

Name:  lighting_dia_1.gif
Views: 568
Size:  11.9 KB

most of the aftermarket trailer plugs allow you to hook up the stop, turn and running lights through the exsisting 4 prong plug... Our trucks are suppost to have the regardless of if it has the tow package or not. I could not find one on mine but they do make a plug and play kit to add one if you can't find it..

As for the gearing, you wanna look for 3.92 gears not 3.99 ... usually you can tell by a metal tag on the axle... it will say either 3.5 (3.55) or 3.9 (3.92) If that is missing you can look to see if there is a sticker in the glove box that tells you but on mine and a few others i have seen by now there missing as well...

Also, if you are planning on towing a RV i would highly suggest installing a aux. transmission cooler and a transmission temp gauge to keep an eye on temps. The tow package included a aux cooler for the trans from the factory. there are a few kits out there for adding a temp gauge that are pretty simple to do.

Last edited by Old_School; 07-21-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Need Help Towing Packages