1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

318 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:22 PM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 Build

I have a 99 D with the 318 and had a couple questions about my rebuild. I have 195xxx on my D and it won't need a rebuild for a while but I'm starting to save up now. So I would be doing a full on build, RHS assembled heads, Edelbrock Airgap from hughes, comp cams 264 with my HS 1.7's, probably 30# injectors, big gulp tb, all ned gaskets, push rods, oil pump, timing chain, the works. And I already have headers, k&n intake, low restriction exhaust. But what I'm wondering is do I go with a 390 stroker kit for 2k or a turbo or supercharger for 6k. I don't really want to sink 10k into it but I would love the turbo. I'd only run 5psi on the turbo or 6psi with a supercharger, I want some really good power but not go that high with the boost cause I'd like it to be a daily driver.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

Well, compared the HP numbers vs the cost on the 2 options. If you won't be making significant HP gains with the forced induction over the larger displacement option then I'd definitely save the money and skip the turbo/supercharger. I might be wrong, but I'd imagine that a charged 318 would get a bit better MPG (all depending on tuning and such) than a normally aspirated 390, but MPG might not really be a consideration in this build (when I eventually build a truck for lots of power I'm going to lean towards a very late 90s Cummins Ram and I'll try not to have it make a huge MPG cost, but thats another story altogether).

Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 PM
winkie74
Professional

MPG is a factor. I've decided to go with the Procharger D-1SC kit. What all comes with the kit? I can get just the supercharger for $2300 so might it be a bit cheaper to piece together my own kit? And I have a question regarding turbos, why is it necessary to get aftermarked timing and fuel controlers? doesn't the PCM control that anyway?

Quick Reply: 318 Build