1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ABS and Brake light Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
dnbinc
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ABS and Brake light Help!!!

OK so i have been over and over the threads here and in doing so I bought a OBDII scanner with ABS.

I have both lights on and the code scanner indicated the rear sensor was bad so I replaced it. Cleared the codes (yes my scanner can do that) Lights went off for about 1 mile of driving then came back on. Ran the scanner again and it showed the speed sensor being faulted so I replaced that sensor. Cleared the codes. This time the light goes off at startup but then come back on after about 2 seconds. Scanner shows no codes now either.

I have checked and bled the brakes and now I am completely baffled. The Durango does have 4 wheel ABS and if it is one of the two sensors in the front.. I dread needing to replace both wheel hubs to just change out the stupid sensors....

Any help?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:41 AM
dxloat
Veteran

You can check the wheel speed sensors unplugged across the terminals with your multimeter.
The resistance should be:

4X4 front sensors 893-1208 ohms
4X2 front sensors 1800-2200 ohms
all rear sensors 1600-2300 ohms

You should be able to remove the wheel speed sensors from the front hubs and replace just the sensors if necessary, but it has been my experience that it doesn't cost much more to buy the whole hub assembly, just more work to replace the whole assembly.

Last edited by dxloat; 02-20-2014 at 12:45 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 AM
dnbinc
Amateur

OK. We have a blizzard moving in today, so I will give it a try tomorrow and post back my results, Thank You!

Quick Reply: ABS and Brake light Help!!!