1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

spark plug tips melted,code P0300

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:43 PM
StevenHarrah
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug tips melted,code P0300

I drove my 2001 4.7L sport Durango about 5 miles, stopped and shut it off for ten minutes then when I started it up it sounded like it was misfiring. I drove it home sputtering and cutting out all the way. I rented a fuel pump compression tester and the pressure was fine. I pulled the two month old Bosch plugs out and the tips were almost gone , replaced them with Autolight and the engine still runs rough. Anyone know what's going on or what to do next ? Thanks !

Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 PM
dxloat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean almost gone? Smashed or melted away? According to NGK, melting often results from loose installation, which prevents the plug from properly transferring heat from its tip. But melting may also indicate unusual heat or hot spots within the combustion chamber. This excessive heat is often the result of pre-ignition, which can be created by an overly lean condition, improperly advanced injection timing, or improper heat range (too low).

Read more at OnAllCylinders: Reading 101: How to Read Your Spark Plugs: http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/12/20/reading-101-how-to-read-your-spark-plugs/?utm_source=oac-link&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=copypaste

Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I know the 5.2 and 5.9 only like the regular copper core plugs, and I'm pretty sure the 4.7 is the same way too. Try some regular old copper plugs and see if that makes a difference.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:54 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Champion copper cores in mine. Gapped at .040 and no problems. Don't run anything but champion in these engines, they don't like it. Lots of reference to this throughout the site if you do a quick search on spark plugs.

Quick Reply: spark plug tips melted,code P0300