1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Overhead Trip Computer MPG Freezing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Overhead Trip Computer MPG Freezing

So I had an interesting issue pop up with my overhead trip computer this past weekend. I noticed while I was driving down the interstate on Friday that it was reading 11 mpg for the instant economy. I tried letting off and stepping on the gas and it didn't change. It didn't budge when I came to a complete stop either (normally goes to 0). When I turned the key off and then back on at the gas station it worked fine again then, and gave no problems the rest of the weekend until earlier tonight. While stopped at a light I turned the key off then back on and it worked fine again.

I noticed that when it does this the miles traveled readout doesn't increase either. The odometer and trip computer in the gauge cluster both work fine as does everything else in the car, so I think that rules out an issue with the CCD bus and CTM. I don't think it's a wiring issue either since turning the key off and back on makes it work normally again. I suppose it's possible for the overhead computer to go bad, but has anyone had this happen before?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I probably have the same actual problem, but a different symptom. Occasionally the air temp gets stuck at some number that clearly higher than the outside world. It will stick at that temp for the full duration of the drive. It's only once every 100 key spins, so I haven't bothered looking into it.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:03 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

It might or might not be along the same lines. I don't remember if the temperature sensor is hard wired to the overhead console or if it communicates over the CCD bus. I'm hoping it's just some kind of anomaly and will stop acting up. I think I'm going to take the console down and check the connections to it also.

Quick Reply: Overhead Trip Computer MPG Freezing