1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

No Chime for keyless entry program mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 PM
abritton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Chime for keyless entry program mode

I went to the dealer today and paid $54 to have one replacement fob program. I bought my 2003 Durango SXT used. It works fine but I am trying to add 3 additional fobs. You can have a total of 4 fobs. I followed my manual on turning the ignition to on. Holding the unlock button for 4-10 sec and then press panic and release. It says a chime will be heard but time and time again I do not get a chime. What can I do to fix this without having to take it to the dealership to pay $54 per fob programmed? I have no auto locksmith in my area that can do this time of work already checked.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:48 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Do you have the doors closed?

Do you have the seatbelt buckled?

Do you have the unprogrammed key in the ignition or the programmed key?

Found this information that may help for additional fobs:

Use the following procedure to program additional key fobs.

1. Enter your vehicle and close all doors.

2. Fasten your seat belt (Fastening the seatbelt will cancel any chiming that may confuse you during this programming procedure.)

3. Place the key into the ignition

4. Turn the ignition to the ON position (Don't start the engine)

5. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on the key fob.

6. After holding the UNLOCK button for four seconds, also press the PANIC button within 6 seconds.

7. Release both buttons and a single chim will be heard. The chime is an indication that you have successfully entered program mode. All fobs that are to be programmed must be done so within 30 seconds of when the chime is heard.

8 Using the fob to be programmed, press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, simultaneously.

9. A single chime will be heard.

10. Within four seconds of hearing the chime, press and release either the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the fob.

11. Repeat steps 8 threw 10 to program up to two additional fobs.

12. Your vehicle will remain in program mode for up to 30 seconds from when the original chime was heard. After 30 seconds, all programmed fobs function normally.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:30 PM
abritton

Yes as stated from my post I got one working fob. The dealer charged me $54 to program it. I am following the steps in my car manual which is what you pasted. I have seen this same question on other sites about no chime being heard saying you are in program mode. Issue is all they get are what you have given me. I am appreciated the instructions but that is not the issue. I need someone with dodge knowledge or a former dealership mechanic that can answer why I don't have a chime or it entering program mode.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:04 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Have you considered calling the dealership and talking to the person who programmed your fob? Ask them what went into programming the one that they got to work. See if they mention anything about the chime.

Can't hurt to ask.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:29 PM
abritton

well the dealership uses a computer to program the fob. Yeah it's $54 for each one. I learned where the keyless entry module is. It is on drivers side pillar under dash. The plastic side trim covers it. I decided I'd kick it a little and well it worked. Got it to chime and program. Only issue not a biggie is the manual says you can have 4 Find but it would only let me program 3

Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Glad that you got it to work.

Thanks for sharing your solution for future visitors.

Quick Reply: No Chime for keyless entry program mode