1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango R/T muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:04 PM
turbo2point4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
R/T Durango has a fatter exhaust than a standard one.

Are they listing a sport muffler for an RT? I don't get it. They may be confused.
Walker only lists one direct fit replacement, which is what I was trying to find. The listing says "excluding Sport".

Old 04-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dxloat
That sounds like a great deal, when I looked at Magnaflow last year I couldn't come close to what you did it for, at least not cat back but it might cost more where I live. You are correct buying the "kit" is a rip generally but to some people getting everything they need in a kit is worth not having to pull a thinking muscle. Not sure what you meant by "special" mandrel bent tubing but if you bought any bent tubing then it was mandrel bent. I don't really see where it would be possible to fab an exhaust for my D without bent tubing. In my case the tailpipe alone was over $100 as it was the 3" stainless version, more than the muffler. Living in Wisconsin we use lots of salt here so I tried to buy everything including the clamps in stainless. Well by the time I bought the new intermediate pipe, hangers, clamps, and other odds and ends I needed it came to around $200.

That's my point, they try to pull it off as a "special" bend that provides extra MPG and Horsepower when its really just a standard bend.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Radar696
Rookie

Originally Posted by dxloat
I know everybody on here says magnaflow is the best but I put a Walker Dynamax ultraflow from the cat back on my 01 RT for right about $200 and couldn't be happier with the throaty sound and lack of drone. A center to center worked fine as the model I used was a round stainless even though the D is designed for center to offset. I was also able to increase the diameter of the tailpipe for that money(Walker also). I did do all the work myself so if your paying for the work it will be more. You will not come anywhere close to $200 cat back with magnaflow.
Did you use stainless for the pipes too?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:23 PM
dxloat
Veteran

Yes I bought all stainless, it is cheaper to go with the stock 2.5" in regular steel. You have to take into consideration if your area uses salt on the roads and if you plan on keeping your D longer than a couple years or not. I also personally try to avoid the welded version of mufflers and go with the rolled seams as it has been my experience that even the stainless mufflers rot at the welds.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:06 PM
turbo2point4
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
R/T Durango has a fatter exhaust than a standard one.

Are they listing a sport muffler for an RT? I don't get it. They may be confused.
when you say fatter, i'm assuming you mean 2.5" piping?

Old 05-25-2015, 01:10 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

2.5" was stock on all models I think, at least that's what my 99 had on it.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:26 AM
dxloat
Veteran

My 01 rt had 2.5" stock and I bumped it up to 3" when I was replacing the exhaust cat back.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:16 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That's the same thing I did.

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango R/T muffler