1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dangerous Abs issue after changing brake pads.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Mattbak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangerous Abs issue after changing brake pads.

I've had abs issues with my 2002 Durango slt plus 5.9L Awd since I've changed my brake pads and bled the system. I replaced the front wheel bearings about 2 years ago and it didn't cause any problems, only improvement. I changed my front brake pads, left the back drums alone, they seemed fine a few months ago. I bled the system at all 4 brakes and ever since my abs has been engaging at low speeds and I've had both brake and abs lights going crazy. Sometimes they go on then off. Sometimes multiple times. Mostly just staying on after it has a fit and scares the crap out of me. I've seen the speed sensor as a problem but my speedo has shown no issues. Today when I started off with the truck already warm and well driven for the day the lights came on every time I pushed the brakes. It then had a fit of engaging then the lights stayed on and the problem stopped. Could the problem still be a sensor? If so which ones and where? I have a voltage meter and know how to use it so any normal readings would be great also. I'm also incredibly broke at the moment and regardless of finding the problem can I drive my awd safely if I pull the abs fuse?

Old 05-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Mattbak
Default One more thing.

At my apt I have to smoke outside so I smoke in my truck. Most the time with my key turned forward. I have heard the abs make the "abs noise" with out the engine even being on. Which would lead me to believe it is an electrical problem.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:43 PM
dxloat
Veteran

I can tell you the abs modules do go bad occasionally and will cycle continuously as this has happened to me. There are rebuilding services for the modules out there but personally I would not bother after having had terrible luck with a rebuilding service. You can find the modules around $100 or less at a junk yard or Ebay, just make sure you match up the #'s. I would check your abs sensors with a multimeter on the pins first to make sure they are good. Also the abs system in our Durangos can only be properly bled with a dbr scan tool that cycles the abs while bleeding, which will be necessary if you introduced air into the system at any point while working on it.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the abs stops going off whent he lights come on bc it is in 'fault mode', basically it has detected a problem and is refusing to function until it thinks the problem is fixed (usually only happens after it actually IS fixed), this is why it stops going off after you see the lights come on.

since you just bled the brakes i have to ask if the resevoir ever ran empty during the process?
if it did the dxloat is right, you probably got air in the ABS system and it needs to be bled with the drbIII tool at a dealer, if the resevoir never ran dry there is a good chance that the abs pump never got air in it and you should be fine with a standard bleed.

as sfor driving with the ABS fuse out, yes you can do that however the ABS and brake lights in the dash will stay on, and you will not pass an vehicle inspections (at least where i live youwouldnt), you just will NOT have ABS (this situation is NOT recommended for most drivers)

Old 05-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Mattbak
Default fixed it.

It's always the simple stuff. When I changed the brakes I lifted the truck by the frame so the wheels dropped all the way down. By doing this the speed sensor connection was ever so slightly pulled away from the wiring harness connection. I have since cleaned it and reconnected it. Haven't had a problem since. Live and learn.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:02 PM
dxloat
Veteran

You should be able to jack the truck on the frame without pulling on the wires. You mentioned you changed the wheel bearings a couple years ago which probably means you snapped the new wheel sensor wire clips onto the hydraulic line without leaving enough slack, easy fix.

Quick Reply: Dangerous Abs issue after changing brake pads.