1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Is my master brake cylinder bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Mattbak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my master brake cylinder bad?

02 durango, abs, awd. Changed the hubs, rotors, brakes pads, and shocks up front. Afterwards I have no front brakes. The pedal goes to the floor. I stop on a dime and can hear the back drums grinding but have no pressure on the peddle. I didnt break open the lines I just c clamped the calipers back and there wasn't much travel because I did the brakes a few months back but not the rotors and decided to just redo it all while I was down there. So could it be the mc? It takes a lot of pumps to get the pedal hard when the trucks not running. Also the fluid is full and never moves. Doesnt move when its on, off, and didn't go up when I c clamped the calipers. Need help here before I spend the time and money on a mc.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:37 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd try making sure everything is bled first. Seems odd that it happened right when you worked on the front end.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Mattbak

I bled it last time and I'm plenty experienced on doing it so I don't see how bleeding it again will matter since I didnt let any air in the lines. I've just never ran into this problem. All signs point to the mc but I need to know for sure. It's not expensive or hard, just time consuming.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Mattbak

I've seen a lot of people saying that when you clamp the calipers it can blow a valve out in the mc so that would be the connection on how one would have this problem. I've had brake creep before so I'm almost positive that it's the mc. I just need that 1% more info push to decide to do it.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:48 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

All I can do is speculate over the internet without knowing what's been done in the past. I just suggested making sure the brakes are bled, because it's easy and doesn't cost any money.

There is a proportioning valve that is supposed to block off fluid from one axle if you have a line blow out, so if someone hit the brake pedal hard while you had the caliper off the rotor, it could have set it off. That shouldn't cause the pedal to go to the floor though. Your problem does sound more like a master cylinder issue.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Mattbak

I went ahead and got a new mc. When I broke the lines loose the back started dripping and the front did not. Once I had it off I pushed in the slide and the front bursted fluid out while the back just pushed out fluid smoothly. I'm guessing what I read was correct. Pushing in the calipers forced debris into the mc and clogged it up. I put on the new kne and can feel better pressure as go goes all the way to the floor. I'll bleed the system and everything should be working better than ever.

Quick Reply: Is my master brake cylinder bad?