1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Ball joint? or Control arm replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:02 PM
403Phaze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint? or Control arm replacement

So I felt like doing some maintenance to my vehicle, shes getting squeeky and creeky... so I bought a couple of lower balljoints to replace since that seemed to be the issue, as it turns out I dont think I am able to change the balljoints because its a sealed unit? or am I just crazy?

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango

so every video i watch or forum I read none seem to have an issue, I mean I bent and broke my U-joint tool...

so posted a picture of the balljoint

Attached Thumbnails Ball joint? or Control arm replacement-balljoint.jpg  
Old 06-16-2015, 02:32 AM
dxloat
Veteran

I just use an angle grinder and grind off the lip flush with the arm, it is crimped open to hold position. The new ones should use a snap ring and groove to hold position. Use lots of penetrating fluid. The ring you need to push the ball joint into in the standard kit is usually not the right size to clear the ball joint shoulder, hold it up to the new one and you will see. If you don't clear the shoulder you will spring the bj press before the bj comes free. Smacking the sides of the arm around the ball joint with a hammer helps sometimes too. It will come out but not easily just don't give up. I would personally replace both upper and lower as you will have everything apart anyway and if the lower are bad the upper is not far behind and who wants to have to take it apart a second time. Don't waste your time with cheap ball joints on your Durango either as it is already arguably the weakest link in the front ends. I recommend Mevotech or Moog for aftermarket.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:25 PM
NCDurango
Rookie

I did mine a few years ago and it was a pain. Mine wasn't rusty like yours either. I bent the borrowed BJ remover tool but it did the job. Be sure to use the right cup in the tool otherwise you will be pushing on the control arm and not the BJ.

You can buy replacement control arms with new ball joints and bushings. i plan to change mine when i install the '03 spindles and brakes.

Quick Reply: Ball joint? or Control arm replacement