1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fueling issue....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 PM
Will i am
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fueling issue....

Forgive me and please direct me via link if this has already been posted and resolved, but I have a 2000 Durango SLT (5.9L if that matters), and every time I go to put fuel in it, it takes forever, because if I try to squeeze the gas pump any more than a very slow pace, it just constantly clicks like it is supposed to when it is full, but it is nowhere near full when it does this. Can anyone give me any suggestions what might be causing this and if it can be fixed semi-easily and/or inexpensive or not? Thanks!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of two things....the vent line is plugged or the anti rollover float is stuck. There are two hoses from the gas fill...one for gas and a smaller hose that vents the tank back up. If the vent hose is clogged air can't escape and fuel will back up into the neck. Likewise if the anti rollover float is stuck in the up position it won't let gas by. This occurs from repeatedly over filling in the tank. You can get a coat hanger but bend the end so nothing sharp and carefully rod out the fill neck to see if you can dislodge the float. If the vent tube is plugged you'll need to remove it and clean it out or replace it.

Quick Reply: Fueling issue....