1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

looking at buying a 1st gen and swapping my own 4.7 into - question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:50 PM
Geoffreymmckee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at buying a 1st gen and swapping my own 4.7 into - question

Hey everyone, I'm just joined. Hoping to get a little info.

So right now I own a 1999 jeep WJ with the 4.7 V8. I love the jeep, but its been the worst money pit ever. I have spending so much of my money trying to keep it repaired.

my living situation may soon change (i.e. getting an apartment) which want leave tons of money for repairs. I'm ok with a few now and again, but not the 4-5k a year i had before.

Right now it has several problems that make me say, "no more".

1. Rust. Came from up north, and the previous owner tried to cover it up. Fooled me for the first few months.

2. CEL for cats, needs a heater core, and front axel needs a rebuild in the future.

The first 6 months I had it were the most expensive. the engine started knocking, and ended up replacing it with a jasper per a shops recommendation. Had to save forever to pay for it.

So I have this nice 4.7 jasper with like 50k on it, that i would love to keep. Since i payed 3800 alone for the motor.

So what i'm considering is a Durango 2001-2002 that runs good, but maybe has some milage on it. Save up to have a shop swap my 4.7 in. maybe the trans too. Mine has 195k but shifts very nice and fluid is nice and pink.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it a direct swap? Transmission the same, computer, ect...?

2. any things to look out for? On the jeep, it was stuff like blend doors, xfer case noises ect.

I kinda like the Durango since it has the open floor, where as the jeep has a console that runs all the way up to the dash. not much room for the CB, switches or any other electronic gadgets that I want to add.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to make a good decision. Any advise is appreciated.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Buy a 2002-2003 with a blown 4.7L and swap it in. This way you won't have to worry about engine mounts or tranny bolting up issues. Be sure you get the Durango with rear disc brakes. Don't start out with a DUrango that has a different type engine.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:52 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

03 was the only year the first gen Durango had rear disc brakes. I don't know much about the 4.7 setup, but I know the number of teeth on the reluctor wheel is something to be conscious of.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Geoffreymmckee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
03 was the only year the first gen Durango had rear disc brakes. I don't know much about the 4.7 setup, but I know the number of teeth on the reluctor wheel is something to be conscious of.
I looked into the teeth ordeal. Looks like a 2001 is the newest I can get. How hard is it to swap in disks on the rear? or is that a no go?

Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

There are some write-ups about swapping to the 03 rear axle. That said I thought you could swap the reluctor wheels.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear disc conversion is almost completely plug and play. I have a 98, and just 2 weeks ago swapped an 03 rear end into it. My 98 had a different brake hose from the frame to the axle. Just used the hose off my 98. The yoke is different as well as the parking brake mechanism. All relatively easy changes to make. Like he said, multiple write ups on these axle swaps.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:39 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the tone ring change was mid year 2002, so early 2002s had the 16t ring and late model year vehicles had the 32t ring. i believe your 99 would have the 16 which means you need to find a durango 00-02 with a 3 plug PCM and a separate TCM, if it has the 4 plug PCM it has the 32t tone ring. (and lacks a TCM).