1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango Blower Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 AM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ great find i had actually just found that...but i saw a similar one on the autozone website for $91as well, thats more than what i paid for it at the dealer.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 PM
bradEMT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep an eye ( and nose) on that wiring harness. I have replaced my resistor three times.
Heres what i have found from trial and error:

When your resistor heats up and eventually blows the resistor levels it gets VERY hot and that heat travels down the wires. Mine had melted the plastic the resistor is molded into, and subsequently the wires as well, causing a short that was blowing my resistors prematurely.
You have to buy the entire wiring harness for the whole HVAC system to get that one small clip, ( nothing at any wreckers within 300 KM where I'm from).
I ended up clipping cleaning and soldering the wires from each connector in the clip to the resistor itself until i can find a used un-corroded harness/female connector.
so a word to the wise,
watch the corrosion in those wires.. built up condensation in that motor housing and heat destroys those wire from the inside and makes a HUGE headache. the dealers are no help $200 for a whole harness for what could be a $20 fix with a connector and a resistor .

Last edited by bradEMT; 02-18-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: wrong thread WTF ;)
Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Pedro Faria
Amateur

thanks for the write-up, i just did it, it went relatively smooth. the wiring looked good.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Phik

I have a 2001 and my issue is, I've replaced the resistor multiple times and upgraded the harness also.The last resistor lasted all of one day. What could cause the resistor to blow? The resistor and harness look brand new. The dealer will not warranty them anymore. They replaced them so many times that I had to call them from a different phone just to get through. As soon as they heard my voice though, I heard the sigh. I pretty much read all the posts and I didn't see what caused the problem.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 PM
M Shark
Professional

I just fixed mine. the new part# is 5061575AA which replaces 04885635AB. Costs only $10.35 + tax from the dealer and only takes less than 10 minutes to replace.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 PM
beto1310
Default parts changed

I have a 2003 dodge durango blower motor went out wires at the resistor melted changed resistor and harness also the blower motor . bout for some reason the motor still doesnt work how do i get to the switch

Old 12-23-2014, 12:46 PM
RonRock
Amateur
Default Zombie Thread Revival, for a good cause

I wanted to bring up the dead just to give a Thank You! My front heater switch stopped working on all but the high speed. I was certain that I had read of this issue previously on the forum. So I came to the forum, did a search, then a little reading. Found this thread and read it. All in all I read much longer than it took to replace the Blower Motor Resistor. Fixed in about 20 minutes and 10.00 dollars and change. Nice!

Thanks to the forum and all who take their time to help out strangers.

Cheers to All,

Ron

Now maybe I can fix the rear heater that has always blow cold. More search and reading to be done.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:43 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Originally Posted by RonRock
I wanted to bring up the dead just to give a Thank You! My front heater switch stopped working on all but the high speed. I was certain that I had read of this issue previously on the forum. So I came to the forum, did a search, then a little reading. Found this thread and read it. All in all I read much longer than it took to replace the Blower Motor Resistor. Fixed in about 20 minutes and 10.00 dollars and change. Nice!

Thanks to the forum and all who take their time to help out strangers.

Cheers to All,

Ron

Now maybe I can fix the rear heater that has always blow cold. More search and reading to be done.
Rear heater blowing cold: Most likely either rear heater core or secondary water pump. The secondary water pump is on (or near) the passenger side, front fender.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:24 AM
myfrogs
Default Not even on high

I have replaced the resistor in the past, so I am familiar with the "only on high". However, yesterday I went to turn up the AC, and nothing happened. No air flow at all, anywhere up front, on AC or heat, any location or speed setting. Nothing. I've read through so many posts but not finding my situation. Any help?

Old 07-31-2015, 12:57 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

could be the blower motor or melted wires

Quick Reply: Durango Blower Switch