1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

96 Dodge Neon - No Spark, No Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:03 AM
kftzpatrick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bg1995redneon
Since you do not have power to the two outside pins, but do to the center wire and since you have checked everything else, it is time to truly consider that your PCM is dead.

You have a 1996 SOHC engine. What tranny? MTX or ATX? There is a junkyard near where I live that has 3 Neons (none are 1995 and all three had ATX's in them - one was a DOHC, and one is SOHC, the last one has the motor and tranny gone, but I can fnd out what it had if I look) and the PCM's are still there. Would you like for me to find out a ballpark price for one? That may give you a better sense of how much it will actually cost to try one out.
I have a MTX (5 Speed). A PCM from an ATX will not work with a neon with a MTX? Just wondering because I can get a used PCM for around $23.00 at this junkyard that I deal with.

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:20 PM
kftzpatrick

Just an update:

I got two used PCM's from 2.0 SOHC Dodge Neons - MTX. Neither PCM worked. I also noticed that the Chrysler P/N's are different from the original PCM in the car ...

The 2 PCM's that I got today each have different Chrysler P/N's as well. Do these PCM's have to be programmed for a specific VIN Number or should they work regardless?

The one PCM came out of a 1996 Dodge Neon - SOHC - MTX and the other came out of a 1997 Dodge Neon - SOHC - MTX.

Just about ready to send this car to the JUNKYARD!!!!

Last edited by kftzpatrick; 10-27-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:17 AM
noissesboyobyalp

like i said, im having the exact problem. everything is good, the spark just isn't there. i took a good motor out of one with a bad body and swap the bad motor out of a good body with this one and now nothing runs. so i've tried both pcm's, both coils, both crank sensors, both cam sensors... and nothing.

i took the engine harness out of the car and cut it apart, alot of the wires seem to be stuck togather, like speaker wire, but they shouldn't be. what i get from the coil clip is the center is a ground (with my test light hooked up to positive it lights up, nothing when its on neg) and the one closer to the firewall, doesn't light up with ground or positive, but i did notice when i have my test light hooked up to the positive terminal (lights up to show ground) when i stick it in the one close to the firewall, one of the relays clicks (i think it's the asr)

but going back to the crappy wire story, which sensor tells the coil to fire, the cam or crank? if it is the crank, which wire on the sensor is supposed to have positive power?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:52 AM
kftzpatrick

Originally Posted by noissesboyobyalp
like i said, im having the exact problem. everything is good, the spark just isn't there. i took a good motor out of one with a bad body and swap the bad motor out of a good body with this one and now nothing runs. so i've tried both pcm's, both coils, both crank sensors, both cam sensors... and nothing.

i took the engine harness out of the car and cut it apart, alot of the wires seem to be stuck togather, like speaker wire, but they shouldn't be. what i get from the coil clip is the center is a ground (with my test light hooked up to positive it lights up, nothing when its on neg) and the one closer to the firewall, doesn't light up with ground or positive, but i did notice when i have my test light hooked up to the positive terminal (lights up to show ground) when i stick it in the one close to the firewall, one of the relays clicks (i think it's the asr)

but going back to the crappy wire story, which sensor tells the coil to fire, the cam or crank? if it is the crank, which wire on the sensor is supposed to have positive power?
The Crank Sensor controls the spark and the Cam Sensor Controls signal to the injectors. The Orange wire that goes to the crank sensor should have 8V ... that is the power to the Crank Sensor.

Also, try this ... NEISG1 recommended this idea: "The PCM pins pulse to ground. If you disconnect the coil connector and connect a small test lamp (LED type test lamp works best) from +bat to pin 1 or 3 of the harness connector, the test lamp should flash rapidly while cranking."

Last edited by kftzpatrick; 10-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 AM
noissesboyobyalp

i have tried that, but i get nothing. mmmm that orange wire in my harness looks alittle cruddy, let me see if it gets power when its all hooked up, if thats not getting power because of a faulty wire then it won't sense where the crank is and there will be no spark.... im gunna go play with it and let you guys know.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 PM
noissesboyobyalp

and also, is the coil clip supposed to be positive or negative on the number 2 wire?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 PM
kftzpatrick

Originally Posted by noissesboyobyalp
and also, is the coil clip supposed to be positive or negative on the number 2 wire?
From what I understand, the center wire on the coil is supposed to be 12V ... Bat (-) to center wire on coil.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:28 PM
noissesboyobyalp

hey kftzpatrick, switch your coil plug, with your cam sensor plug, i garentee you will get spark..... cuz i just did!!!

i didn't even notice that the wireing harness was like streching to get to the coil, when i seen that i knew something was wrong. i swaped the two and now shes runnin!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 PM
kftzpatrick

Already tried that ... plus when I put everything back together it ran fine, then shut off after 2 minutes and haven't been able to get it started since.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:44 PM
noissesboyobyalp

i had spark, i went inside to get a drink and now its gone.... wtf!

Quick Reply: 96 Dodge Neon - No Spark, No Start