1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

97 Neon Radiator Fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 02:22 AM
DanP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Neon Radiator Fan not working

I have seen other cooling fan posts, but not exactly like mine. I have a 97 Neon with a SOHC engine and the radiator cooling fan stopped working. I have replaced the antifreeze temperature sensor and the fan relay to no avail. The fan does work if you power it directly. I get a OBDII diagnostic code of P1491, which I have looked up and found to refer to the cooling system circuit. I have seen there was a recall on Neons regarding the fan relay, by my local Dodge dealer tells me my car is not included in this recall. Can anyone help me?

Old 04-26-2005, 08:31 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: 97 Neon Radiator Fan not working

I would start looking at the wiring, particularly around the temp sensor. On the SOHC, there are plenty of places for heat to get to it and then there's the valve cover it could rub on. Hand-over-hand works the best, just takes forever...

Might want to double check the relay. Is it the sam etype as the horn relay on the '97? f so, you can just swap them out and honk the horn to check it...

Best of luck!

Old 04-26-2005, 07:06 PM
pythonbunny
Professional
Default RE: 97 Neon Radiator Fan not working

if there is a code 35 then the relay is bad under the battery looks like a voltage regulator and is 70$ from dodge i put 3 in and mine is a 98 but its not the recalled one either i thinke out of all the neons out there none are!!!dodge elec. sucks always had a prob

Quick Reply: 97 Neon Radiator Fan not working