1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 Dodge Neon, cuts out when fuel drops to 3/4 tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel rail is the round "bar" on the front side (of car) just above the intake manifold. there are four fuel injectors (with their electric connectors) that each goes into a cylinder. If you disconnect the fuel line (passenger side of car by firewall to fuel rail (both sides have quick disconnects), then you can remove the fuel rail by simply removing two bolts and then pulling it toward you to pop them out of the cylinders. Of course, don't do that - as you don't need to - but that is how simple it is to remove the rail.

You do need to remove the fuel pressure from the system because to get the fuel assembly out of the tank, you have to disconnect the fuel line, and if you try to do it with pressure on the line, you will regret it immensely. Fuel will spray all over you and anything else. It is very easy to remove the pressure. All you have to do is go to the fuel rail, there is a test port that looks just like any other tire pressure port with a screw on cap. Remove the cap and push in the pin and when it stops gushing, the pressure is relieved. You might want to try to hold a jar as close as you can to the port to catch some of the gas that will spew out.

Yes, you need to drain the fuel tank as completely as you can. because you will be removing the fuel assembly from the side of the tank and I can promise you that the more fuel you have in the tank, the more you will likely wear (you will get some on you unless you are just plain lucky) when you drop it down to get it out. Why do you have to drop the tank? Because you won't be able to pull the assembly out without dropping it down (too long) as the side of the car will keep you from doing so. Now if you can, keep the fuel assembly side of the tank higher then the back side after you drop it down to limit just how much fuel you will end up getting on you. If you are very very very careful and lucky, you may end up with only getting gas on your hands.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 11-01-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:03 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

BTW, I didn't just drop my tank down, but went ahead and pulled it out from under the car, poured the remaining gas into a bucket, then went ahead and cleaned out the inside of my tank (I have the older metal tank). I
decided that if there was any gunk floating in my tank from past bad gas, etc., that since I was changing out the entire unit anyway (and I just changed my external filter - 95 model only), I could get rid of any crud once and for all.

I surely did/do not want to EVER pull the tank again - nasty nasty nasty job. Smelled like gas for hours........ My wife made me take a hose bath outside before she would let me in the house....Thank goodness it was warm outside! The wet smelly clothes were just tossed.......

Old 11-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Grahampham

Dropped the tank (after draining it of course) pulled the pump out and saw the filter was split and completely filled with sediment... When I took the filter off there was no less than an inch of dirt piled over the intake valve on the pump... cleaned the velve off, bought a new filter cleaned the tank out put everything back on place and what do you know,,, no more cutting out and sputtering.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:44 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Wow! Sounds like someone tried to poison the gas tank some time in the past! Glad you got it fixed.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

Great, Glad you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Neon, cuts out when fuel drops to 3/4 tank