1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Cooling System Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:26 AM
SingleOHC97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling System Issue?

Hey, everyone! This is my first time here so don't get upset if this has already been answered.. But I have just recently flushed the cooling system in my '97 SOHC Neon with an auto trans. (Not sure if that matters..) Before I flushed it, when in Drive at a stoplight the temp would start to climb until either I started moving or I shifted into neutral. I had to replace the radiator because it actually developed a leak at the bottom. I figured it would've stopped after all that work, but it does the exact same thing still? Compression test came out fine. I did notice that only one of the two fans ever come on (the passenger side works), and when burping the system it never quite stopped bubbling. It was almost a steady stream of tiny bubbles. I was just wondering if maybe I overlooked something that could possibly lead to worse things, or if anyone had suggestions or advice? Anything will help at this point. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:03 PM
sabin420
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making sure the car is on level ground when filling up the coolant helps. The thermostat is right their at the radiator cap. If the engine is cold, it can take quite a while to fill the radiator all the way. Always make sure the overflow reservoir is up to the full level. If the radiator needs more fluid, it draws from the overflow.

For the fan issue, one fan turns on as soon as you turn the AC on. The other fan turns on when the coolant temperature gets to operating temp. See if the other fan turns on and off when you turn on and off the AC. You may need a new fan.

Doing a compression check is not enough to see if you have a leak in the head gasket. You need to do a compression leakdown test also. I have experienced an issue where coolant would not leak into the cylinders, but a pinhole leak in the head gasket would send compression from the motor into the coolant system making it expel the coolant into the overflow.

Quick Reply: Cooling System Issue?