1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1988 D150 Fuel Pump/Sending Unit Retainer

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 AM
enikolich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 D150 Fuel Pump/Sending Unit Retainer

My 13 year old daughter bought her first vehicle - a 1988 Dodge Ram - D150. We are in the process of getting it running now and the first step was replacing the fuel pump (after she spent four hours cleaning the non-running truck)Runs just fine on starting fluid for now. Anyway, dropped the tank last night. There is a retainer clamp that holds the fuel pump/sending unit in place. Even after spraying is with Wd40 and letting it soak, we took one turn on the screw and the clamp broke. I can not seem to find it anywhere. Looked at all the big parts places and does not show up. Is this a dealer only/junk yard part? Has anyone found a source for this?

I am new to dodge trucks. My experience has always been in antique Fords and Chevys.

Any assistance you can provide would be apreciated! Thanks so much.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: 1988 D150 Fuel Pump/Sending Unit Retainer

Most junk yards remove the gas tanks and junk em, dealer is best bet.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 PM
that_dodge_guy

dont go to a dealer they are over priced and the clamp never fits properly. i had to make my own by using two medium clamps and putting them together and around the old one, sauldering it together makes it a little stronger, but it holds just fine if you have it on properly and tight

Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 PM
D'chell Larice Ward Ferguson
Default found a link for truck fuel clamp

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it tonight helping my dad look for a clamp for my brother's 1988 Dodge pickup...for our long time mechanic who hasn't had a chance to look for it yet. (we all work together to look for parts to keep our antiques and newer cars in shape) Anyway, we found our clamp on LMC Truck Here's a link http://www.lmctruck.com/index.htm maybe it will help you with other parts you may need for your daughter's truck, if she still has it. Good luck!

This is for anyone else that may run across this thread in need of parts...just an FYI...my dad has a 1978 Chevy Silverado and LMC has every part to build his truck...so.....This is a great link to hold on to for the future!

Last edited by D'chell Larice Ward Ferguson; 08-01-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:36 AM
davec42

I had to replace my fuel tank and pump. Had the same problem getting parts. Had to use a tank out of a 1991 to 1993. See my post on this swap.I had marvelous results.

Quick Reply: 1988 D150 Fuel Pump/Sending Unit Retainer