1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

auto locking hubs to manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 PM
felchie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto locking hubs to manual

Hi there my name us Mike and well I just converted my 90 dodge power ram to manual hub but my four wheel drive still won't engage...please could use the help...

Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your truck has a central axle disconnect system, so your hubs should have always been locked before. Part-two of a manual hub conversion on a w-series truck includes defeating the CAD system. I've never done it myself, but this explains it better. The last paragraph describes what you need to do.

http://www.4x4wire.com/dodge/tech/solid_axle_cad/

Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Sniper X
Captain

I wonder why you did the conversion in the first place. I have never seen the 4x4 hubs on these trucks go bad, are you intending to rock crawl or do massive tyres or something?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 PM
felchie

I thought that manual locking hubs would b better sniper x n plus was getting a weird sound out of my front end like it was trying to enage in 4 wd even though i was in 2h... Plus also 4 wd wasnt working...i put it in one day n under not a max alot of pressure but heard a pop and then 4wd came out...i really could use some advice i like manual hubs too bc well when its locked its locked unless the hubs go bad and well this is my first 4wd so i dont do much bc she is my daily driver but everyone once in while i take her out and play n just want a reliable 4wd... I read that link to n was help full...but being thay i put the locking hubs on what is basically my next step is what i am asking lol...thanks again for the help so far too...

Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 PM
sls001
Captain

The CAD systems go bad all the time in a couple different ways.

It is an easy swap - take out the auto hubs, install manual hubs, and lock the CAD actuator in the front axle. Then you can remove all the vacuum hoses or at least plug the main line from the manifold.

To lock the actuator is a very simple 5 minute task. Remove the 4 bolts and pull the actuator from the axle. Slide the collar inside the housing to lock the axles together then on the actuator push out roll pin slide the fork to the locked position and reinstall the roll pin.

Name:  cad_diagram_zps3653ad82.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  52.8 KB

Quick Reply: auto locking hubs to manual