1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1988 ram electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Cramped
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 ram electrical problems

Friends truck, while jump starting said truck just stopped trying to start like a fuse blew. I found no fuses blown, with battery connected the left turn signal stays constant on but engine will not turn over at, everything else that was working still works. While turn signal is on if you turn the left blinker on the light just gets brighter along with dome lights warning lights etc but still will not turn over at all no clicks or anything with charged battery. The only trouble shooting I've done so far is rule out everything in steering column and dash. At the starter relay all 4 wires going to it are hot with 12 volts. I cannot find anywhere else that ignition and the left turn signal would cross paths with exception of the harness that goes from battery area into cab. Any ideas where I should look? Could it be as simple as a short to ground or a wire burnt up catching contact with turn circuit somewhere? I'm a bit unfamiliar with dodge and gasoline ignition systems.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:50 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

My 86 has 4 fusible links coming off the battery going to different cucuits.
Not sure if the 88 has them or not.
To burn up a fusible link you would probably has a serious shorted wire somewhere.
The fusible links will be in the harness running along the driver side inner fender.

Dave

Old 01-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Cramped

Thanks that's where I was thinking to go next, they look all right for the most part but I haven't torn apart the loom yet

Quick Reply: 1988 ram electrical problems