1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

360 rebuild- cam and intake selection help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:11 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360 rebuild- cam and intake selection help

Hey, I've decided to rebuild the 360 (a '75 car engine currently with a stock 4bbl intake and carter AVS) in my '83 Prospector. I've got my sights set on a master kit with 9.0-1 ratio. The heads will be rebuild stock with some port cleaning and gasket matching. I also have an older set of Headman longtube headers for it as well. My questions revolve around choosing an intake and cam. The truck has its original 727 and a non posi rear with 2.92's on 235/75-15's (2wd). I'm looking for a decent street engine. I'd like to keep the stock divorced choke setup, which I know severely limits my intake choices, but I really don't like manual chokes. I was thinking an edelbrock performer, if it can be port matched to the 360 heads. In the past, I did a 360/4 spd, and used a stock intake with a '68 340 4bbl cam (though as I recall I couldn't get a stock one through MoPar, so I got a purple shaft cam with the closest specs they recommended), that was a decent setup, would that cam still be a good choice with the auto? Cam specs have always just been over my head, so any input is greatly appreciated! The Carter AVS I really like, (It's from a '70 340 I believe, #4933s) that I'd like to keep since it runs so nice now. Thanks for any ideas/input!

Old 06-01-2014, 04:16 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

actual cam specs are over my head too, but i think of it this way i look for a cam that makes power where i want to make power it always seems to say when your looking them up online where that is. do you want to make power from idle to 4000? or do you wanna make power from 3000 up etc there's a billion varieties so pick the cam that does what you want.

I would say MOST street engines(up to 5000 rpm) should use a dual plane intake manifold.... in the case of Edelbrock the performer RPM is the one you want.

unless you only wanna make power up high in which case you would use a single plane manifold such as the tourquer

Old 06-01-2014, 04:24 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

also cams that make thier power in higher rpm's tend to work best with hi stall torque convertors and lower (such as 3.73 or 3.91) gear ratio's

Old 06-04-2014, 09:54 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Thanks for the advice! I may have a line on a used Performer RPM, just waiting to hear back from him. Are certain brands of cam better then others for reliability? Each manufacturer has a bunch of cams in the power range I'm looking at (idle to 4000ish) it seems.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:20 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Well, been checking out cams and intakes, which lead to all sorts of other stuff. I've read a lot about how the stock 360 4bbl intake is actually a really decent piece, and that if I'm not going for high hp, would be all I'd need. I'm still a bit bewildered on the cam, but I think I've settled with the 340ish spec MoPar cam. Since the engine isn't going to be raced, or build for stump pulling, it should fit right in with what I'd want. The only thing now is wether or not my Carter is enough. There seems to be a ton of debate over what these carbs (AVS type off a '70 340) actually flow for CFM, I've read anywhere from 585 to 650. If I assume the mid ground and say its 600ish, is that enough for what I'm building?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:17 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Ok, got somewhere with this finally. The block is getting bored 30 over and will get a set of 9:1 pistons. I've cleaned up the LD340 intake and got my hands on a great running Thermoquad. I'm looking at getting a better geared rear end (in the 3.5x range), and decided on a Purple Shaft cam P4452782 268/276 dur .429/.444 lift (a 340 spec cam I'm told). Will the stock torque converter work?

Quick Reply: 360 rebuild- cam and intake selection help