1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OXYGEN SENSOR or THROTTLE BODY problem???.....Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 AM
hokietiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OXYGEN SENSOR or THROTTLE BODY problem???.....Advice needed

Hello,

I have a 1989 Dodge PowerRam W100 (318 c.i./5.2L V8 EFI) with auto trans.....After replacing sparg plugs/wires, PCV valve, air filter, and fuel filter.......issues remain.

At cold startup, she will idle normally for just a few minutes until warmup. Then, after gradual warmup, it sporadically idles down to near stall and sometimes complete stall...At times it will catch itself and return to normal idle for a few seconds then repeat the sluggish drop to near stall.... If you try to immediately restart after complete stall, it's difficult to restart. But, if you wait 10-15 seconds after stalling, it usually restarts easily...I don't think it's the Idle Air control valve as it appears to be working OK.

If I try to drive it, as long as the gas pedal is depressed (like driving down the road), it will do OK. But, when approaching a stop sign, etc. as it drops in rpm, it will usually try to stall out.

Is it an Oxygen Sensor issue??....What about a Throttle Body issue??

Also, where is the Oxygen sensor located and how many are involved??...Sorry, I'm still a novice and don't have a service manual.

I purchased the truck from a guy who bought it new in 1989....It's a good chance that very little has been done to the truck other than basic maintenance...It has approximately 91,000 miles on the odometer.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Mike

Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 PM
sls001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the codes.
Check the fuel pressure.
Perform the Idle control motor setting procedure per the Factory Service Manual (FSM)

Edit: your doesn't have an IAC it has an idle control (stepper) motor.

Last edited by sls001; 07-30-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: OXYGEN SENSOR or THROTTLE BODY problem???.....Advice needed