1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Speed Sensor loction

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Buzzkilll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor loction

Hello everyone....new to the forum and been lurking and reading the threads. Just bought a 1989 Dodge Power Ram W100 5.2L 4x4 a few weeks back and have the ABS / E Brake light issue I have read about on here. I was going to replace the Speed sensor and see if that would solve it and i am stumped as to where it is. The Haynes manual says it is on the rear differential but there is nothing there. I believe the axle is a dodge axle (9.25 based on the bolt patterns) and original but not 100% sure of that. Is there any other place it could be? I am going to try and post a photo of the axle here. Just cant figure out where it is

Attached Thumbnails Speed Sensor loction-4g9abk.jpg   Speed Sensor loction-cdvbyh.jpg   Speed Sensor loction-ti41tu.jpg   Speed Sensor loction-4lpwlh.jpg  

Last edited by Buzzkilll; 07-30-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Buzzkilll
Default Also

Also, any idea what this is? It is being held on by zipties just before the drive shaft comes out of the front. Gear selector or something? Looks like it comes out of the transfer case.

Edit: I think this may actually be the speedometer cable and speed sensor after all. Haynes manual indicated that it should have been on the differential but I guess not in this case.

Attached Thumbnails Speed Sensor loction-uzzlbh.jpg  

Last edited by Buzzkilll; 07-30-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 PM
tot64
Professional

I dont know much about older vehicles, but i can say that if your red brake light and your amber abs light come on, it normally means a leak in a brake line. It is sensing loss of pressure somewhere. It was the same way on my 98 dodge and my 97 ranger when I had it. The only exception was when the wheel speed sensor came unplugged on my 98, it was directly on top of the rear axle. But I have no clue on older trucks

Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 PM
rightoncue

I know on an 89 B350 it's located on the tailshaft of the transmission. That ziptie business looks a lot like a speedo cable with something else.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Buzzkilll

Originally Posted by rightoncue
I know on an 89 B350 it's located on the tailshaft of the transmission. That ziptie business looks a lot like a speedo cable with something else.
Thanks for the feedback. The part is called a "Vehicle Speed Sensor" I believe you are correct that it is the speedometer cable and it does have an electrical plug on it...I can only assume for the ABS system. Not sure why the previous owner used zipties to hold it in, but I am going to replace the sensor to see if that fixes the lights. Just in case, I have my zipties handy as well!

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor loction