1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1989 Dodge W100 4x4....Front wheel bearings/u-joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 PM
hokietiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1989 Dodge W100 4x4....Front wheel bearings/u-joints

Hi gang,

My 25 yr old 1989 Dodge PowerRam W100 4x4 truck may need the front wheel bearings re-packed and overall re-lube....What would it sound like if the service is needed??
Any recommendations, techniques recommended for proper procedure??....What about the front axle U-Joints near each front hub??..Any recommendations for proper maintenance of the U-joints??

I do NOT have a Chrysler Service manual for that year model. However, a HAYNES manual can be purchased. Is it (HAYNES) worth it??

Thanks!!

Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 AM
bluesfan45

Originally Posted by hokietiger
Hi gang,

My 25 yr old 1989 Dodge PowerRam W100 4x4 truck may need the front wheel bearings re-packed and overall re-lube....What would it sound like if the service is needed??
Any recommendations, techniques recommended for proper procedure??....What about the front axle U-Joints near each front hub??..Any recommendations for proper maintenance of the U-joints??

I do NOT have a Chrysler Service manual for that year model. However, a HAYNES manual can be purchased. Is it (HAYNES) worth it??

Thanks!!
I haven't been able to find a Chrysler manual, I have the same truck, so I use my Haynes manual. It has helped me with understanding several repairs I've had to do myself, including replacing the front wheel bearings. It has the factory recommended torque numbers on reinstalling the new (or in your case reinstalling the packed bearings). You will need a special socket to take the bearings off and to reinstall them after you pack the bearings with new grease. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Buzzkilll

Bluesfan, follow this link to the Chrysler shop manual for roughly $58...I just ordered one myself and should be in any day. I have a 1989 Power Ram W100 as well. Just bought it and trying to figure out what all it needs.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...parttype,10335

Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Buzzkilll

Originally Posted by hokietiger
Hi gang,

Thanks!!
I have the Haynes manual and it is ok, but I just got the Chrysler Shop manual just yesterday and it is really good...exploded views of everything with procedures.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 PM
hokietiger

Thanks to all for replies!!.....I am so new to this procedure...The HAYNES manual has a pretty good description but not enough pictures to depict the precise procedure of removing/repacking the bearings, seals, etc..... Troublemsome for me since I am so unfamiliar with the terms (nomenclature).

I did do the HORIZONTAL and VERTICAL "tug" on the front tires and very little play, if any, was detected. That tells me the bearings are still "tight".....Also, the ball joints are in good shape....Do you think it's OK to "keep on rolling" for awhile until I get a good Mopar Service Manual??

The truck has never been abused and as mentioned before, the 4X4 had never been used until I purchased the truck...I have changed the front and rear differential fluids and also the transfer case fluid.

Thanks for all help and if anybody has additional pictures, book clippings, etc. to share, it is GREATLY appreciated !!

Mike

Quick Reply: 1989 Dodge W100 4x4....Front wheel bearings/u-joints