1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Auto Trans wont shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 PM
tblonk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans wont shift

Hi I have a 1986 d150 2wd with a 6cyl. It wont shift out of first gear but will go into reverse and neutral. The fluid level is good and I tried adding an additive but it didnt help. When I get to about 15-20mph and high rpms it makes and whinny and high pitch squeal. It seems like it wants to shift but wont. The P/O said he never had a problem but that was 7 years ago. Any help would be great thanks.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:51 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iam NOT a trans expert. but if rev is good then the rev band is applied and the front clutch is engaged. in drive low speed is called breakaway, if yours is good then rear clutch is engaged, and the overunning clutch in holding. so the front band may not be working for 2nd gear. the info i have is for old 727. if you have an O.D. trans there may be other interactions that i am not up on. one of the real experts here can help better. sorry about righting so much. i just love reading service manuals.

Quick Reply: Auto Trans wont shift