1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Carb selection

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean the plastic centre part? I could give it a try. I have a few other smog eara T-quads for parts, so I was just going to swap out the centre part with a different one and see how it does. I have a manual choke set up on the AVS right now, and it starts and runs good. Though a pesky heater line leak is keeping it parked at the moment, once that's taken care of I'll play around with the 850.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

If you have a good straight edge check them to see if they are warped.
A piece of plate glass is good for checking and sanding on them.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:41 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

I don't have one, but I may be able to borrow one. Once I get some other things sorted out on the truck I'll look into it.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:23 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 383 with an AVS many moons ago and loved it. Never gave me any problems. If you are thinking of getting rid of it, let me know. If you are trying to cure your truck being a dog off the line, it is probably your gearing. Those are some hwy gears.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:19 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional

I went with the 600 cfm Summit carb. Dropped it on and it fired right up. I had to order a throttle adapter, new return springs and a kickdown cable kit (the kickdown rod hits the firewall with this carb), but runs well. Even with the gears I have at the moment, it's a fun ride! I just bought another truck, an '84 Prospector, that's got a bunch more options then mine (power windows, a/c and cruise to name a few), with a stock 360, so I'll be busy with it. I originaly got it for a parts truck, but it looks to be in better shape body-wise then my '83 is, so I may park it for the winter and rebuild it in the summer. I'll run my '83 for the winter and get the engine good and run in, then probably swap it over.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:47 AM
beakerztoyz
Professional

Good selection. I just ordered up a street demon 625 for mine, I ordered the one with the plastic middle so it will look like the old school thermobogs.... I was pretty intrested in it after finding out it was a spread bore carb like the quadrajets. my motor is factory, with headers...

Last edited by beakerztoyz; 12-13-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Carb selection