1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to the forum and Mopar

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:57 AM
81powerram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum and Mopar

Hey guys i ran across a pretty nice old truck today and want to learn a little bit more about it. Its an 81 power ram 250 custom with 75,000 miles a 318 4 speed A/C and what caught my eye it has a factory sunroof. it was parked back in 04 and hasn't moved since and the son of the original owner just gave it to me. I'm new to Mopar so bear with me guys but so far I've replaced the coil,resistor,cap,wires,rotor button,and Ignition Control Module. I'm getting spark but still not firing I'm guessing now the timing and or the firing order is wrong. I've found multuple firing orders in clockwise and counter clockwise distributor rotations. if you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great. also I've done a full fluid change and tank drain and clean.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:17 PM
81powerram

ok so today i changed the firing order and set the corret timing at 10* then the truck ran for about 10 minutes and died. i tried to start it a few times then i popped the hood to find my voltage regulator melted. what could cause this. i replaced it with one off an old warlock my buddy had and it would spark once and then nothing else to the plugs no matter what. do i replace it with a 5 pin or 4 pin i still have the single pickup coil type distributor and is there anything else i should upgrade while I'm at it?

Name:  dodgevoltageregulator_zps50360088.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  67.2 KB
Name:  powerram_zpsf85f2f1b.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  86.2 KB

Attached Images

Last edited by 81powerram; 11-05-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:39 PM
emnestor
Professional

Originally Posted by 81powerram
ok so today i changed the firing order and set the corret timing at 10* then the truck ran for about 10 minutes and died. i tried to start it a few times then i popped the hood to find my voltage regulator melted. what could cause this. i replaced it with one off an old warlock my buddy had and it would spark once and then nothing else to the plugs no matter what. do i replace it with a 5 pin or 4 pin i still have the single pickup coil type distributor and is there anything else i should upgrade while I'm at it?

If you are referring to the electronic ignition module the 5 pin is the old 4 pin. both are the same. One just had an extra pin for a tach or something. They both work. Its not uncommon for those voltage regulators to burn up after they are that old.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:16 PM
KevenP
Rookie

Welcome.
Also check for a failed fuse-able link.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:33 PM
81powerram

thank you so much for the help guys I've replaced everything with the molar performance ignition kit and new voltage regulator plugs and wires still nothing. i never once thought to check fusible links . I've been pouring over wiring diagrams for days and half of my original harness is gone but i think i have replaced everything that is needed to make her run. so hopefully i replace a fuse or two and i get spark!! once again guys thanks very much!

thanks,Martin

Quick Reply: New to the forum and Mopar