1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1992 D150 Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:00 PM
JasonAL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 D150 Stalling

Greetings,

I have a 1992 Dodge D150 3.9L V6 that is randomly stalling while driving. No sputtering or warning, the engine just cuts out as does the power steering. Radio, headlights, and hazard lights continue to work. Trying to restart I hear it try to turn over (starter turning over?) but the engine doesn't start. After sitting for one to several minutes it will start with no trouble. Sometimes it stalls again within a minute, sometimes it will run for a bit before doing it again. I haven't found a consistent factor that makes it happen more or less often.

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to vehicles, however I do have a mechanic friend who I was able to hire to help. On his recommendation we replaced the alternator and then the fuel pump assembly and fuel filter. I also had the battery tested and ended up needing a new one. Despite this, the issue is continuing and getting worse, stalling out much more often than when this began. My friend doesn't have any other guesses about the problem and I don't want to keep replacing parts just to see if it helps.

Reading other threads about similar issues reminded me that about 3 1/2 years ago I had a a problem with stalling and the mechanic ended up replacing the crankshaft position sensor which fixed it. Hopefully it wouldn't have gone bad again that fast but I don't know how to test it and don't want to blindly replace it. That mechanic has moved away so I can't go back to him.

I've also found plenty of other possibilities by searching online but don't know how to narrow down or test them. I've seen mentions of ASD (don't know that one), grounding issues, the computer going bad, and even someone who said servicing their transmission and topping off the fluid fixed the stalling.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to narrow down the source of the issue and to test for it but don't know where to begin. I'd be grateful for any insight and thoughts that could assist with fixing the stalling issue. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any input you might have.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:37 AM
emnestor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAL
Greetings,

I have a 1992 Dodge D150 3.9L V6 that is randomly stalling while driving. No sputtering or warning, the engine just cuts out as does the power steering. Radio, headlights, and hazard lights continue to work. Trying to restart I hear it try to turn over (starter turning over?) but the engine doesn't start. After sitting for one to several minutes it will start with no trouble. Sometimes it stalls again within a minute, sometimes it will run for a bit before doing it again. I haven't found a consistent factor that makes it happen more or less often.

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to vehicles, however I do have a mechanic friend who I was able to hire to help. On his recommendation we replaced the alternator and then the fuel pump assembly and fuel filter. I also had the battery tested and ended up needing a new one. Despite this, the issue is continuing and getting worse, stalling out much more often than when this began. My friend doesn't have any other guesses about the problem and I don't want to keep replacing parts just to see if it helps.

Reading other threads about similar issues reminded me that about 3 1/2 years ago I had a a problem with stalling and the mechanic ended up replacing the crankshaft position sensor which fixed it. Hopefully it wouldn't have gone bad again that fast but I don't know how to test it and don't want to blindly replace it. That mechanic has moved away so I can't go back to him.

I've also found plenty of other possibilities by searching online but don't know how to narrow down or test them. I've seen mentions of ASD (don't know that one), grounding issues, the computer going bad, and even someone who said servicing their transmission and topping off the fluid fixed the stalling.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to narrow down the source of the issue and to test for it but don't know where to begin. I'd be grateful for any insight and thoughts that could assist with fixing the stalling issue. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any input you might have.
The next time it stalls and wont start....turn your key to the start position and see if you here the fuel pump kick on for a few seconds. If you dont here it you have a bad shut off relay. Just a thought. My 91 did this.

Quick Reply: 1992 D150 Stalling