1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'83 d150 will not start... kinda

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:07 PM
kyle3194
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '83 d150 will not start... kinda

So about a week ago I came across a good deal that I couldn't pass up. I got an '83 dodge d150 power ram edition with 4wd and a 318 for CHEAPPP. I got it from a friend, so I know what he had done to it, and I also know that he wouldn't try to screw me.

Well anyway, I got it registered on Friday and decided to take it out for a spin. It had started up fine in the drive way 3 times or so before I had it registered, (even in the 10 degree weather) so I figured as long as it drove good no problem. Well it started up fine Friday, I drove it to school, did some studying, then drove it to my girlfriends place. When I went to start it there again, there was absolutely nothing happening. After a new starter relay did not work, my father and I troubleshot the problem to the Park/Neutral switch. From here, we just jumped that Park/Neutral wire on the driver's side of the trans to the negative terminal on the battery to ensure a good ground.

BOOM! The pickup now turns over and "runs" when the starter is in the on position. However, as soon as you release the starter, the pickup dies. Every time. No exceptions. This is the first time I have had this happen.

My father thought that it could be something with the fuel, however I think that it is more than likely electrical due to the fact that AS SOON AS I release the starter it dies.

So my question to the public is is there any way to jump the ignition in the on position to provide feedback to the engine to keep firing? (The only thing that got replaced during this time was the starter relay, could it be something with this?) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kyle

Old 12-08-2014, 03:16 PM
kyle3194
Amateur
Default *Update*

So I have been reading a little bit more, and it seems that the ballast resistor would be a good place to start. I would just like to know if there is any way that I can short this to create a constant "on" to diagnose this without going out and buying a new ballast resistor.

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 12-08-2014, 09:35 PM
kyle3194
Amateur
Default *Update*

It appears that the Ballast Resistor was the culprit. Pulled it out and the coil was snapped in half. Plugged a new one in, started right up! Just wanted to post this to see if anyone needed help with the same thing.

Quick Reply: '83 d150 will not start... kinda