1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A518 burned a clutch pack after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 AM
mperryb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A518 burned a clutch pack after rebuild

Hey all I recently bought a 92 cummins with a a518 4speed. The trans was bad when I bought it so I immediately tore it down and rebuilt it. I rebuilt it with red alto clutches and kolone steels. I put in a new converter and did a shift kit. The truck had about 5 miles on it and had no power in 1st gear. I could feel it shift through the gears (once it got going) so I know it wasn't starting out in 3rd anything like that.

I tore it apart and found this. Nice groove on the piston retaining spring.
Name:  IMG_1865.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  114.6 KB

You can kinda make out the convex/concave shape of the clutches.Name:  IMG_1864.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  114.7 KB

Brand new clutches and steels look purdy good.
Name:  IMG_1859.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  90.9 KB

When I was in there i found this ring on the input shaft to be in bad shape so I replaced it with the supplied teflon ring. The metal rings just sound like a better idea to me so I left the other one alone.
Name:  IMG_1874.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  69.8 KB

So what did I do wrong? I didn't check the clearances when I went back together. Someone said that the clearances could have been too great and the piston traveled too far and that was the end.

I have posted on a few other forums I am just attempting to get this thing back together soon.

Thanks for all your help

Quick Reply: A518 burned a clutch pack after rebuild