1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What to do with my 1978 Dodge W150

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 12:14 PM
SeanWimbush
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my 1978 Dodge W150

Hey i was wondering if any of you guys could offer me some advice?

So i just bought a 1978 dodge w150 360/727 trans 4x4, for 2400. When i bought it i knew that it had a tranny leak and the seal needed to be replaced. So i have dropped the tranny and t-case and pulled out the motor. I am at a point where i am not sure what to do with it. I could just rebuild the origional motor and tranny, motor cause it needs gaskets etc. but i would really like to but a 12v cummins in it.

Im a student and sort of on a budget, so any suggestions. Would it cost alot more to put a 12v in it v.s rebuilding the old 360 bomb/vise versa

Old 01-01-2015, 07:03 PM
HillBillE
Professional

Originally Posted by SeanWimbush
Hey i was wondering if any of you guys could offer me some advice?...........

Im a student and sort of on a budget, so any suggestions. Would it cost alot more to put a 12v in it v.s rebuilding the old 360 bomb/vise versa
My advice would be to stick with what you have, either rebuild/replace but keep the drivetrain.

First consideration, when you figure the costs for a major mod, you should always double it (if not triple the amount) because it always costs more in the end,

Second consideration: Weight.

The 12V weighs around 400 pounds more than your 360, and is a lot of weight on a 1/2 ton.

A 4BT would be a better option for a Diesel in a 1/2 ton.

Having done some drivetrain swaps and a lot of mods, my advice is to keep it simple for now.

Once you're done with school, have a good DD and some expendable cash for doing mods, that would be the time to tackle a major mod like a Diesel swap.

Good luck!

Old 01-01-2015, 09:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I would not have bought a project truck if I was still a student. Lol

Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM
SeanWimbush

Ok thanks, and its not really a project, it needs a main seal on the tranny to get it running. I bought it cause i got a great price. Also the body and frame are mint. No rust at all on the body and very minimal surface rust on the box side of the frame

Old 01-02-2015, 12:31 PM
SeanWimbush

Right now im off school until the summer so i got nothing but time to work on the truck and work at my job and make some money. I am a student but i do have some money put aside for a vehicle etc.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 PM
The War Wagon
Professional
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I would not have bought a project truck if I was still a student. Lol
So funny it hurts...

I work for a living, and it only took 8 years to get my '92 RC road/trail worthy.

A '78 will be a little simpler, and probably a lot less stressful, since I fixed mine up with a wife & 4 small kids, while holding down a job. Git 'r' running, pick up parts as you can, work on it as you're able, and EVENTUALLY... it will all come together!

Quick Reply: What to do with my 1978 Dodge W150