1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

89 dodge w150 5.2 318 asd relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:21 PM
chuck3910
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 dodge w150 5.2 318 asd relay

ok so this is the first time I've used one of these forums so bare with me. i have a 89 dodge w150 with a 318 in it. I've owned the truck since i was 15 and its been sitting for a while. I'm planing on restoring the truck however when i went to start the truck it would crank no start and i could not hear the fuel pump run. i could get to the pump plug so i checked for voltage with my dvom - 0 volts. did a little research and found they use an asd relay. checked power supplies to the relay, red wire has constant 12v with key on. green wire has no voltage due to the relay not energizing. the other two wires - one blue with white and the other blue with yellow - have no voltage. traced wires and found blue and white wire goes to the 14 pin connector at the ecu. ohm out the wire with .2 ohms. i can place a jumper from red wire to blue and white wire and truck starts and runs with no issues. so my question is if the ecu sends the voltage to control the asd relay is there a fuse that operates this circuit or is there a fault in the ecu. if there is an ecu issue can the ecu be repaired or does it require replacement. thanks in advance .

Old 09-15-2016, 11:10 AM
dmitriyk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple threads on the first page here with the same issue. My strategy so far has been to replace the ASD relay (with mixed success).

Test the relay. 30-87 should be open with no voltage applied. With 12V on 86 and ground on 85, 30-87 should be closed. If this is not the case, replace the relay.

Quick Reply: 89 dodge w150 5.2 318 asd relay