1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

87 D100 external oil pump change, L6 3.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:58 PM
Difih96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 D100 external oil pump change, L6 3.6

I have to replace my oil pump but have never done it. Is there any special things to worry about. I know it's an external oil pump so that simplifies a lot. But I wanted to make sure there weren't any little things to worry about before I unbolted it and dismantled my truck.

Thanks !

1987 D100 Slant 6 3.6L original engine tranny and oil pump.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:16 AM
E50095
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brother, it's been a while since I've had one of these apart, but if I remember correctly, its an external pump, but you will need to pull the oil pan to remove the pick up screen. A couple things to remember are:

Make sure that screen is totally clear if you're gonna reuse it. Sometimes they get chunks of solidified oil in there that you can't readily see, but it hinders flow. Some folks soak the screen in solvent to get any deposits out.

Make sure the screen is installed at the right depth relative to the bottom of the pan...we don't want any starvation issues at higher RPM's.

Get a quality brand name pump as opposed to something you've never heard of on ebay.

Put some assembly lube on the gear drive part of the pump.

That's all I can think of for now...sorry no one got back to you sooner on this...