2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oil Pan Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:27 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil Pan Removal

unless your rebuilding your engine, its not worth dropping that oil pan. when the drain plug on my 3.9 stripped out, guy i brought it to just welded on a race car lug nut and used a new pan bolt, cause he would of had to drop my front axle, hey is repair job worked so idc, nothing got into the engine so no worries on my end, but yeah, for a slight sludge build up if present, dont waste your time, if your really concerned run some of the lucas oil stabilizer in your next change, i put it in every change, comes out pitch black, but i know its removing all the crap too and each oil change lasts about 6-7000 miles so.. plus it keeps everything quiet on the inside and no dry starts

Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: f0x672

unless your rebuilding your engine, its not worth dropping that oil pan. when the drain plug on my 3.9 stripped out, guy i brought it to just welded on a race car lug nut and used a new pan bolt, cause he would of had to drop my front axle, hey is repair job worked so idc, nothing got into the engine so no worries on my end, but yeah, for a slight sludge build up if present, dont waste your time, if your really concerned run some of the lucas oil stabilizer in your next change, i put it in every change, comes out pitch black, but i know its removing all the crap too and each oil change lasts about 6-7000 miles so.. plus it keeps everything quiet on the inside and no dry starts
yea, there is a good idea...how ya gna get the @hit outa the pan, or just leave it all stuck in the oil pickup? Nah its not worth it, hey blow it up, then bitch about how you had sludge in it and at 4000 rpm ya had 40lbs of oil psi, then blame it on everybody but urself for cleaning it outa ur oil pump
[sm=rant.gif]

Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've heard that the lucas stabilizer stuff causes foaming and what not so i stopped using it in the old jeep but they claim it works so who knows.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
f0x672
Champion

imnothot... go get bent

pitkanen, i never heard of the stuff foaming up, both my high school and college diesel instructors sware by it for the fact it prevents dry start ups, but il definately find out about it if it foams up or not, i doubt it does though

Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep using it, ull find out, ur realy not helping a thing, i bet you use tranny/engine in a can crap too rite?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

i forget if it was bobtheoilguy.com or where i saw it but they had a whole bunch on it and different samples and such. ill look for the link or if someone else knows what im talkin about they can help me out.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:28 PM
f0x672
Champion

nah, i dont put **** into my truck... and if that stuff doesnt work, simply explain this to me, ive been running castrol gtx even since i got the truck, and it always had that dreaded tick, started using the lucas ****, no more tick, its not like its "hiding" anything if that tick is just a common issue on these magnum engines that doesnt pose a threat, please enlighten me

Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

found it heres what made me stop using it http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
and this thread on another site is against it to...scroll down a little its a pretty long post by tempmaxman http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=167311

if you like it and it seems to be working for you im not telling you to stop using it just saying that i've heard about it foaming and that its not as great as it sounds.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: f0x672

nah, i dont put **** into my truck... and if that stuff doesnt work, simply explain this to me, ive been running castrol gtx even since i got the truck, and it always had that dreaded tick, started using the lucas ****, no more tick, its not like its "hiding" anything if that tick is just a common issue on these magnum engines that doesnt pose a threat, please enlighten me
like i said im not trying to change your mind or anything just showing you what i've read. if it made your tick go away then thats good and it did its job i just personally wouldn't use it if something wasn't wrong. i tried it in the jeep for 2 3000 mile oil cahnges to try and slow and hopefully stop a oil leak but it didn't help so i stopped using it right before that second oil change i read that btog site and that made me stop using it for sure. like i said tho it helped your tick and you have people that swear buy it so go right ahead im sure if it is hurting anything its not to much to worry about since it seems to be well liked by a lot of people and lucas is a good well know company.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
f0x672
Champion

nah im not arguing with you at all pitkanen, just staing a point with imnothot

but hey you do what makes you happy, il do what i do, i mean yeah the lucas stuff and its advertising is blown way out of proportion, but that "eliminate dry start theory" is true from what i have experienced, hell the stuff is like molasses so i wouldnt doubt it will stick to anything inside that engine

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal