2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

7-way wiring & trailer brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM
cdawley4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7-way wiring & trailer brakes

Hi,

I have an 03 Dakota Quad cab. It has a class III/IV receiver hitch with 4-way wiring. I don't recall if the hitch was factory installed or if it was added later, as it was my parents truck. It is a Hidden Hitch. I want to add a 7-way wiring harness and a brake controller. How does everything hook up? I have read where the 7-way will connect into the T-connectors at the rear, but I don't see the blue wire inside the truck near the emergency brake, or a blue wire near the rear. I saw some kind of tan box at the left of the emergency brake with lots of wiring connectors going to it. Would the trailer brake controller plug in there? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 7-way wiring & trailer brakes

I switched mine over to 7 prong. but I didnt add a brake controller. but I recall seeing a blue wire in there, but I never hooked it up. and I dont know where it comes out at inside the cab. you might have to follow the wiring and see.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
cdawley4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 7-way wiring & trailer brakes

I went by my local Dodge Dealer where my parents bought the truck. There were 3 people behind the parts counter. One was not real sure about the part I was looking for (must have been new), and the other person was a little more knowledgeable about the parts. Anyways, the guy that was more knowledgeable said "None of the older dakotas have that wire from the factory, it is a part of the 7-way plug and is included in that package. The 2008's may have it and the Rams have it on them, but not the older dakotas." Not sure if he is telling the truth or lying. I have read on another forum, the wire is like part of the special group package or something like that.

Quick Reply: 7-way wiring & trailer brakes