Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 2nd Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Dakota 1997 - 2004 Dakota's

Check engine light - P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM

If the truck seems to run and idle well, but has the CEL showing a misfire, try the seafoam. Start the engine, pull the big vacume hose off the brake booster and slowly pour a can of seafoam in the vacume hose. This could produce a lot of white smoke to billow out the exhaust pipe SO YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO DO IT IN A GARAGE. When you are getting to the last 1/4 of the seafoam, start pouring faster so the engine will actually flood and die from the seafoam. Let the engine sit for 15-30 minutes, not running. Pour another full can into the gas tank (need at least 6 gallons of gas in the tank). After the wait start the engine, rev it up. Lots of smoke at this time. Go for a drive after the smoke calms down. You'll still see smoke for a while, it will eventually go away (20 minutes or so). Run that tank of gas out and fill'er up again. Put another can of seafoam in the second tank. Then I'd do a can every 6 months after that. That's the process for the fuel system.
NOW, a lot of people don't realized oil issues (sludge/build-up) can also cause misfires. Next time you are due for an oil change pour half a can of seafoam in the oil 100 miles before the change. Continue driving for the 100 miles. Drain the oil, refill (recommend full synthetic, Schaeffers is the best in my opinion), add half the remaining seafoam to the oil (1/4 can). Next oil change add the last 1/4 can to the clean oil. This should clean up the hydraulic lifters, oil passages, etc also helps remove crap from the crankcase that is melting off the valves and pistons due to the seafoam on the fuel side.

Give it a try,

Hope it helps
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 AM

Default I think I found my problem

The same day I was going to take it to the mechanic one of my friends asked to take a look. He found that my "PCV valve" was broken. He sent me for JB Weld glue (I purchased it at AutoZone) and glued it back together.
2013-03-02 11.22.06.jpg
Then he noticed that an elbow hose leading to the intake was ripped (we taped it for a quick fix but I plan on replacing it). I'm hoping that I can attach pictures so that you can see for yourself.
2013-03-02 11.22.26.jpg
So I've ran 50 miles without the light turning back on, my rpms are no longer over 1000 when idle. Does anyone know how many miles you have to run after you clear codes before you do a smog in California?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 AM

Tags
2001, 2003, 2004, code, codes, cylinder, dakota, dakotas, detected, dodge, engine, misfire, p0303, pattern, ram