2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Under-Dash Air Leak Problem -Resolved :) W/ details

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Under-Dash Air Leak Problem -Resolved :) W/ details

Wad up!

Ok.. so tired of the blizzard coming from under the dash... seeing how this is a common issue reported I will post my findings and how I fixed it..

Now My methods might not be the best desirable but it got the job done and no more leak !!!!

So here is what I found and What I done:

1. Take Windshield Wipers off
IMG01225.jpg
2. Take the Plastic Holder things off the plastic cover there, the one the air goes into while driving.
3. Don't forget to disconnect the win. washer line and vacuum hose going to apparent random and useless vacuum box

4. Remove...

Now.. I took my cell phone and recorded the following crappy quality video so you could see what the problem is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpiQy...er_profilepage

As you can see, there is a GAP!!!! OMG! So when I got the truck I noticed peices of foam spitting out.. Guess what it was???? It "WAS" the gasket that dodge used here.. Idiots, why not use rubber? Why always foam? IDIOTS!!!!

Any how.. so as you can see there was probally a 1/4" gap here or moreeee.... again.. Dodge=Idiots!!!! OMG! (Ford is no better either..)

So moving on..

5. Remove Glove box
6. Pull the wire and adjust it so that it is not in that gapping crack...
7. I took electrical tape and taped it up and put some on the metal bracket to prevent wear on the sheathing..
8. Zip tied in place..
IMG01218.jpg
9. Placed plastic bag on floor board.. You will see why in a moment..
10. Found me a piece of hose.. forget the size.. pretty small.. about the size of a weed eater fuel hose works..
11. Attached it to the end of this...

Now I know what your thinking.. but this actually works..

12. Sealed the whole. Notice the plastic tube provided with the can of foam is very short.. this is where that tube comes into play.. attach it to the end so you can do the back first.. by putting the tube as far back as possible.
start from the right front of the assembly.. fill the back first.. then the right side.. then the left.. then the front..

(Now I really went overboard just in case i did not get the seam well, I filled it in big time.. Just be careful...
IMG01221.jpg

13. This is important.. As you may/may not know.. great stuff expands.. and being I am using the greater than one inch kind.. be careful!

I took masking tap and made me a few wide strips by putting the together.. then I placed as below: (This is to prevent expanding any further than the tape.. )
IMG01222.jpg

So with all that said and done, this is another view from outside looking into the air intake of the Vent system.. (now this is not my best work.. and is a little shobby.. but got the job done.. one note, try not to get excess like I did on the inside of that intake.. lucky i did not get much on the door there.. you do not wanting it sealing shut.. unless you really do not care if your air comes from outside or in.. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxDJX...er_profilepage

So there you have it.. I hope this helps someone.. I would rather replace with rubber gasket if for any reason i needed to rip apart the dash.. butttt.. I'm not planning on that anytime soon, or at least I hope not..

I know its kinda lame but It got the job done and no more arctic blizzard coming from under my dash.. now on to flushing the heater core

Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

BTW, I figure this will not be a perm. fix.. but at least.. a year? Two years? Maybee 3 if I'm lucky?

I've seen this stuff last and stay pretty solid for a few years.. 5-10 somewhere it gets brittle and starts to fall apart.. but hey this works for now..

Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

One more thing.. make sure to let this sit and dry a good long while.. At least 6 hours at very min. but overnight is probally best to make sure it has a good firm seal.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey it works lol Glad you got it fixed. at camp we swear by that spray foam. We used too much between the wall and the door jam once and took five kicks to get the door open thats how much it expands lol

Quick Reply: Under-Dash Air Leak Problem -Resolved :) W/ details