2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

question about oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:51 PM
bigreed91
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about oil pressure

ok so my truck normally runs at around 50mph in the middle of 40psi and 110psi for the oil. But it has been cold here of course. Today it got up to 70 and i noticed at 55mph i only had 40psi and when i stopped to idle a lil bit lower. Im thinkin its just due to the temperature change but ive only had the truck since october so i kinda assumed the higher psi was the norm. Also the oil did look a lil low but i had just stopped so im gonna wait about an hour for it to settle and check it again but should i be concerned?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

well i just checked it again and it is a lil low, at the bottom line on dipstick. Probley due to leaking plenum gasket which im gonna pull off the tb tomorrow and check but i guess its fine

Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am no mechanic by any means but I would say to check the PCV too, maybe just replace it anyway, it's just a few bucks. Lower than normal oil pressure could be because the gauge or the oil pressure sending unit is bad and the pressure is actually OK. You can check that by getting a mechanical oil pressure gauge from Harbor Freight or a parts store, and tee it into the factory oil pressure gauge location, then check it at idle, see how it does. The way I understand it is the engine won't start or run if the oil pressure gauge sending unit is disconnected or the oil pressure falls below a certain level so you have to use the tee adapters to keep the factory sending unit in place. Then duct tape the gauge to the windshield and go for a test drive, see how it does then.

If you are at the lower mark on the dip stick, you have burned a quart of oil some where, for some reason. PCV could be one cause, blown belly pan could be another cause. If you were not burning that much oil before, there has to be a reason for it. If the oil pressure is still off even with a mechanical gauge, there has to be a reason for that too. Is there any smoke from the exhaust? It could be worn valve guides (if you have just a puff of blue smoke out the tail pipe, only on start-up) or worn piston rings, depending on how many miles are on the truck.

Sudden unexplained oil consumption and loss of power and MPG are some of the main symptoms of a bad belly pan gasket. You are on the right track to pull the TB and check it out.

Jimmy

Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 PM
89newbie
Captain

learned a long time ago oil pressure on a Dakota, is a breed of its own. Watch it listen to it, check levels but dont get excited till you know the story.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

myn runs high

Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 AM
bigreed91
Veteran

I havent ever seen it smoke but im gonna pull the tb off in a lil bit then go ahead and replace the pcv anyways and add a quart, ill let ya know what i find out

Quick Reply: question about oil pressure