2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fuel Pump Module - What are signs it's failing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 PM
cowboy63645
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad your back, and are still learning more about your truck, but I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems. No help from me this time around, but good luck and I hope you get it figured out!!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:33 PM
luvdogz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys! I found the fuel pressure gauge in the first place I looked and today I had the chance to be able to put all of your great teaching into action. First I followed the directions 01SilverCC sent for releasing the fuel pressure. I had no problem finding the fuel pump relay or removing it and then I let the pressure out of the tank. I had the great pics that thunder98110 sent me and I thought I'd have no problem finding the schrader valve on the fuel rail but, as much as I studied those pics, I wasn't sure of its exact location. I saw a few caps in there but I was unsure which one it was. I must have checked every part in the pictures to my engine 5 times! I was so disappointed! The picture Thunder sent of the valve itself was a great one but I couldn't pinpoint the location. I'm really sorry, Thunder!

So, now I'm hoping one of you will send me a pic showing the location of the valve. I think it's on one of the silver rails (pipes) behind the throttle body but I'm not sure. What a bummer! Finding the part(s) is where I have trouble when I'm trying to do things on the truck.

Don't pick on me now...... The next couple of days are going to be frigid here but it's supposed to warm up over the weekend. I've got my gauge and I'm not giving up!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your close! well its going to be on the passanger side. here is a better picture of a fuel rail just so you know what your looking at under the hood. off of the on the rail about halfway inbetween the front and the back there will be the valve with the cap over it.
this is what it should look like. fuel rail at top of photo. you can see the 2 sets of injectors.
https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.c...S/80bbf788.gif

Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
thunder98110
Champion

correction on the 3.9 the valve is on the driver side. just looked in my haynes manual!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 PM
luvdogz
Rookie

Thanks, thunder!! I still find this pic just a little bit confusing because I'm not seeing parts I am familiar with so I'm not sure where I'm looking. In the pic, where is the front of the vehicle and where is the throttle body? If I see the TB, radiator, PCM, etc., I can start there and locate the valve (I hope!!) I know I'm asking alot of you but it's the only way I find my way under the hood. Actually, I know where the charcoal canister is so, if you wouldn't mind, you could start from there and lead me right to the valve........just kidding!!!! Well, I'd learn more about what all the parts are under the truck, huh? Would you mind?

I've looked through the entire Fuel Delivery System a couple times in the Dakota Manual and they mention the valve/port lots of times but there's not enough of the engine in the pic for me to pinpoint its location. I'm sure you can look at one wire and tell me where it is on your truck, huh? I wish!!

Well, hopefully, you're still smiling and not done with me yet!! I'll get this, just takes me a little longer.......

THANKS!!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 PM
thunder98110
Champion

the valve will be on the red circle portion on the driver side. I enjoy the questions and helping people as best as I can. I was a noob once too. still am in some regards. the throttle body will be out of the picture, but just north of the red circled area.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
luvdogz
Rookie

You're really too good!!! I've printed out the pic and I'll use it tomorrow to find that valve. You've given a great description so I'm hoping I can figure it out. Crazy how I need familiar parts to locate others, huh? My father was a Master Mechanic but I didn't want to learn about vehicles in my 20's!! I definitely inherited his care of vehicles but not his incredible knowledge of what makes them run and how. I love working on the truck and also other vehicles in the past but the location of the parts has always been tricky for me. I've always had to start from one part to get to another. Oh well, I'm just thankful there's forums like this and guys like you and the others who help me out!!! When my husband was alive, he taught me alot too. It's so easy when someone lifts the hood and points the part out to you. Here I have to drive everybody nuts until I find it. I say it all the time but, "the help I get here is PRICELESS"!!! Now more than ever without my husband taking care of the truck. He hated bringing it to the garage but at least when he absolutely had to, he had the knowledge to have the work done right. I get on here and try to find out if it's something I can do myself and, if not, get some knowledge from the experts to take with me to the garage. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this!!!

So, thanks to you for the info on the pic! It's all up to me now........

Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM
thunder98110
Champion

good luck and keep us posted! we all like to help people out in need. I love this forum! i bet your fuel pump is fine but its a good learning experience for you. and remember some gas will come out while you begin to screw on the test kit just have an old rag handy.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 AM
luvdogz
Rookie

Sorry I haven't written in almost a week......I got the flu and haven't done anything in days. I was going to go out today and work on this but I'm still not feeling as well as I'd like to. I have been thinking about this the whole time I've been sick and it's driving me crazy to get to it! I will write in the next couple of days as soon as I get it done.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
luvdogz
Rookie
Default Fuel Pump Module

Hi Everybody!!!!!

I am sooooooooooo sorry that it has taken me so long to get back here to let you know what's going on with my truck. After my last post, I got really sick and ended up in the hospital for 8 days with a respiratory infection. I was slow moving after this and we had alot of rain here. Finally, on April 20th, I had the chance to check my fuel pressure and I was so proud of myself!! I followed the instructions and diagram and my fuel pressure was right on. No problems there!! I took the truck to a friend's mechanic and he was really good!! The problem was the leak detection pump (LDP). He replaced it and the truck has been fine ever since with no more code. Thanks to all of you for all of your input, help, guidance and pictures!!!!!! I could never have figured any of this out and would have paid $100's on a work and parts I did not need. Also, I learned alot!!!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of this!!!!!! You guys are the BEST!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Module - What are signs it's failing?