2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 04:27 PM
DPP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake

I have been reading that if you take off the stock snorkal and remove the rubber thing next to the radiator
it will let in more air. I did this on my 2004 Dakota Sport 4.7. I can hear ( I think ) my throttle body sucking more. Does anyone know of any issues I might have with this I am going to do a good drop in air filter also.
I am also going to remove the stock muffler and put on something else any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Old 08-03-2015, 02:24 AM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed the "rubber thing" years ago - didn't notice a thing! I also put on a aero turbine muffler. A little better sound but didn't notice anything else. About the only benefit I noticed from a different filter was it was washable. Removing the filter to carb tube and replacing it with a straight smooth pipe I noticed an improved throttle response and a little more intake noise. The stock tubes are baffled (?) to reduce noise but it also slows down the initial airflow.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:33 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a legit Garage show that did a thing once in a test garage and dyno comparing stock to the differnt intake mods out there (bolt on) tried them all Open element filters so called CAI ; they only really seen a real increase was when the tube was put outside the vehicle in front of a fan which sorta acted like RAM air.. other wise there was absolutly no noticble gains (at least non to justify the price tags of most of those bolt ons)..

one of the best things for real performance with my 5.2 was cutting those air horns off the Holly TB; which helps MPG by a fraction i seen and it has a bump more pep as its traveling through certain**** portions of the RPM range.. mainly Half- to WOT..

Even with all that said and done even what little 'flow' you 'might get' with out having engine modes to really support it, and unless you spend most your time at WOT, (which most dont) you wont probably get nothing out of any of those setups over stock esp when you compare the $, might as well take it out yoru wallet; wipe it a few times with do-do and throw it out the window. you might get second over stock performance boost but honestly nothing to write home about.

Quick Reply: Air intake