2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Thump in floor when turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:01 AM
chazbeenhad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thump in floor when turning wheel

Hello everyone. My 05 Durango has a problem with the floor "thumping" when the wheel is turned. It got so bad it was doing it just driving down an uneven street.

I took it to the dealer and they said they replaced the power steering rack.
I picked up the truck last night and I still feel a slight thump when making turns. Mostly turns where you turn off the road on to another road or parking lot. Not curves in the road. I can also feel the vibration from the power steering in the floor when turning.

Maybe its been having this problem so long I dont remember how the thing felt before the problem. Or, maybe i'm over analyzing the thing.

Can any 05 durango owners tell me, is it normal to have some steering feel in the floor?
I have to bring the truck back to them anyway, they didnt center the wheel very good when they did the front end alignment.

-Charlie

Old 09-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Erwinf
Professional
Default RE: Thump in floor when turning wheel

Ask them to check the chasis bushings located below the driver's and passenger seats. There's also a TSB that instructs to replace and grease those bushings. I also had that noise but I was lucky that it just started days prior to a maintenance appointment at my dealer. So I got it corrected that same day.

If you're havinga loose suspension feeling at the steering wheel, have them to check the brake pedal arm's bushings. These little things generates a rattle noise at the steering column when driving over rough roud. To check if this is your case, try to move your brake pedal sideways. If it moves at least 1/4" inch, replace the bushings. It is suppose to feel firm and solid.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:05 AM
chazbeenhad
Default RE: Thump in floor when turning wheel

Thanks for the reply.

Not really a noise now, more like the steering makes the floor flex alot and you can really feel it.
Mostly when your left leg is extended, something I always do when backing up and looking over my shoulder.
Still, I think it applies.

How can I find out the number of the TSB.

I read here in another post about those bushing and mentioned it to the dealer.
They were very dissmissive about it and did ask me if I knew what TSB it was.

thanks.

Quick Reply: Thump in floor when turning wheel